We at Smile are on a quest to help people work smarter, and to do that we’re searching for a self-motivated Android Frontend Software Engineer to craft an amazing Android experience for our TextExpander product.
Who you are:
You’re no stranger to building well-designed, performant and effective Android applications. Our engineering team will rely on your technical expertise to take our Android development to the next level.
You’re comfortable working in a distributed environment with a small and talented team where you’re supported in your efforts to grow professionally. You are able to manage your time well and can communicate and collaborate effectively.
You’re a problem solver. When a complex obstacle presents itself, you enjoy finding your way around it with maximum efficiency.
You’ve got a creative streak. You know what looks good and what doesn’t.
You will start by learning from our current team and offerings to become intimately familiar with our codebase. As you improve your understanding of our business logic, you will contribute by updating the wrapping of our core codebase into an Android presentation. You’ll also be welcome to contribute features to our core codebase. Leverage your experience to develop Android and common code components that customers of all sizes use every day while establishing best practices for Android development and driving the team and the codebase to a higher level.
Work with our talented, internationally diverse, remote team as we learn, grow and continually improve.
- Collaborate with a small team of developers, testers, and designers to spec, write, test, and deploy code which brings our frontend to life
- Write frontend code for the TextExpander Android app
- Work with our QA folks to test and validate your work
- Participate in and receive peer code reviews
- Work with other departments (Support, Marketing, Sales, Customer Success) to incorporate their feedback into the Android experience
- 3+ years of practical experience writing Android apps
- Knowledge of React or a similar framework
- Experience building and debugging in a team development environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude, willingness to share with and learn from others
Tech needed for the job:
- High-speed, reliable Internet connection
Skills needed to succeed at Smile:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Self-motivated, and comfortable with little supervision
- Excellent written communication skills
- Comfortable working with a remote team
- Highly detail-oriented
- Adaptable, able to learn and grow
- Reliable, smart, honest, organized, positive, personable (like us!)
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- User interface design
- Windows development experience (winapi / win32)
- Automated UI testing
- Visual Studio Code
- Design and implementation of accessible products
- Remote work experience
- Experience with Git source control
- Comfort with Macintosh, Windows, and Chrome operating systems
- College education and/or previous relevant experience
- High level of autonomy in your role
- Motivated and creative teammates
- Flexible schedule
- Work remotely
- Healthcare reimbursement plan (ICHRA plan)
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 401(k) plan
- Profit sharing plan
- Long-term disability insurance
- Educational assistance plan
- Contract work also negotiable
- Salary based on experience ($120k – $150k)
Smile develops productivity software for Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone, and iPad. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Smile is a closely knit, geographically diverse company. We have proudly served our customers for over a decade.
At Smile, we embrace diversity. We strongly encourage underrepresented minorities to apply, even if they’re not sure they meet all qualifications.
Smile provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.