DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” by the Nonprofit Times.
As part of the Marketing & Partnerships team, the Brand & Communications team drives awareness and engagement among donors, partners, teachers, and the public to generate donations, inspire new classroom projects, and elevate the brand. The person in this role will monitor and engage with our community across our social channels, and create content to help us raise awareness for our mission, grow our footprint, and achieve our fundraising goals. This role reports to the Digital Content Editor.
This position might be for you if:
- You’re a strong writer, a grammar nerd, and you have a favorite editorial style guide. You maintain a healthy and robust diet of different writing styles and content sources.
- You love engaging with people through social media, and you understand the benefits and strengths of each channel, customizing your writing style for the different audiences.
- You love to write and are known for crafting error-free, engaging copy.
- You care deeply about making education more equitable for students across the country. You get fired up thinking about teachers not having what they need to teach.
- You’re quick to surprise and delight a social media detractor, and turn them into an advocate.
- You have experience working with customer support teams to address inquiries or frustrations that come through social media.
- You strive for both perfection and efficiency, crave feedback, and love uncovering new ways to repurpose great work.
- You’re concise.
- You have 1-2 years of experience in social media management, digital content creation, or a related field.
- You are comfortable with social media listening tools such as SproutSocial, Hootesuite, or Later.
This role is a part-time position, with a commitment of 20-25 hours per week spread across 4-5 days. Daily work will likely be split between some time in the morning and some time in the afternoon to stay on top of incoming social media messages.
- Monitoring our social media inbox, engaging with our audiences, fielding customer support requests as necessary, and reporting trends in teacher and donor messages.
- Collaborating with our customer support team when our teachers or donors reach out for assistance on a social channel.
- Maintaining our brand integrity and personality by writing clear, error-free copy that follows our brand voice guidelines.
- Furthering our mission by creating content that is shareable and engaging.
- Hours: Flexible schedule for 20-25 hours per week. Daily work will likely be split between some time in the morning and some time in the afternoon to stay on top of incoming social media messages.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in New York City or remote in CA, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, TX, or WI
- Compensation: Starting at $30 per hour and commensurate with experience
- DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions, including links to three content samples that show your best work across digital channels (including but not limited to social media posts and blog articles). A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Tharaha Richards, Digital Content Editor.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.