At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re an SDET who will stop at nothing to achieve only the best standard of quality, and get excited by designing scalable solutions and enabling issue-free operations, then we’re offering you the opportunity to join our diverse team and make a real difference in our engaging scale-up environment.
In a nutshell
As an experienced SDET or developer, you enjoy working closely with the QA Lead, QA engineers, and software developers. You’re motivated to share your expert knowledge with your team members and stakeholders to ensure quality is the number one priority. You feel at home working with data-first, analysis-driven methods and shift-left risk-based approaches, and are comfortable with challenging the status quo, e.g., by rethinking the way we obtain our test data.
What you’ll do
As an SDET, you’ll be responsible for building our test automation libraries for QA engineers and developers to use. You’ll investigate, design, and develop quality tools, and support teams in adopting these.
We follow a best-of-breed approach and use the best-stack-for-purpose method (in other words, you’ll get plenty of variety!).
Examples of your assignments include:
- Assess the quality of existing systems and create plans for improvement
- Implement and maintain a test automation platform for full-stack testing
- Identify, communicate, and champion best practices for automated functional and regression testing
- Collaborate with teams to set up cross-product end-to-end testing
- Introduce tools to perform load and stress testing
- Setting up and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Building and expanding observability
We’re open-sourcing, so if you require more motivation to apply – check out our page: http://picnic.tech
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related software engineering discipline
- Expert in software engineering or test automation, either with Java or Python
- Passion to deliver the highest quality tools and frameworks
- Uncompromising drive to achieve the highest level of quality for each system
- Solid understanding of CI/CD test and build automation
- Understanding of observability and how to set up monitoring
- Fluency in English (Dutch not required)
For bonus points
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Web test automation frameworks, e.g., Appium, Selenium, or Selenoid
- API or component testing frameworks
- Cross-platform (Android, iOS) mobile test automation frameworks, e.g., Appium
- Writing shared testing tools and automation libraries
- Developing end-to-end test cases and workflows
- Load and stress testing with tools, e.g., Gatling, JMeter, K6, Locust
- Setting up monitoring and alerting (i.e. using Grafana, Prometheus, Sentry, etc.)
Hungry for more? Check out our full tech stack.
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self.
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- Support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
We care about your health and wellbeing. As such, we currently support online interviews and remote onboarding (learn more about the process here).
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.