Replica is an enterprise data platform that delivers critical insights about the built environment. With better data, human-context and an intuitive design, Replica helps public and private sectors make informed, effective, and responsive decisions. By showing how people live, move and work, we contextualize hard choices, allowing our clients to see around corners and understand the trade-offs surrounding their decisions. Whether for a city planner increasing public transit to underserved neighborhoods or for a grocery chain evaluating where to open a new location, Replica’s insights lets clients make more informed, people-centered decisions.
We spun out of Alphabet in 2019 when we secured series A funding from venture firms such as Innovation Endeavors, Firebrand Ventures, and Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. Today, we are a team of ~30 employees with offices in San Francisco, CA and Overland Park, KS.
We value our customers, believe in being resourceful, and work in service of each other to scale our product. As we build our team, we are committed to pursuing and bringing together a diverse workforce and creating an environment of inclusion. We value our differences and we encourage all to apply. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Replica’s engineering and research team consists of industrial veterans from Google, Uber, Lyft, Dropbox, as well as academic researchers from top research institutes that push the frontier of movement analysis forward. The team is heavily mission-driven, with deep technical expertise on big data processing at scale, production software engineering micro-services, and domain knowledge in the field of movement patterns.
As our engineering team grows, we are looking for a software engineer to focus on the automation and manage the data quality in our data pipelines and data products. As an early member on the team, you will balance speed and quality as you build out new features for our customers.
You will collaborate with engineers, research and development, and customers to enable additional methods of automating our data pipeline while ensuring alerts being triggered when known data problems occur. More specifically, here’s what you can expect to do in the role:
- Work closely with the research team to fully understand the data models
- Work closely with data management and procurement on ingesting new data vendors and make quality gatekeeping measures in place to accept or reject vendor delivery
- Identify gaps and invent processes, automated scripts, and tools to efficiently carry out data processing tasks in a scalable fashion.
- Establish testing strategy and best practices.
- Add logging, observability, and notification for data workflows.
- Actively contribute to company culture by mentoring engineers, contributing to documentation, and actively collaborating with cross-functional groups.
- 2+ years of experience working with automation engineering projects.
- 3+ years as a software engineer.
- Efficiency with automation and tooling languages like python to build reusable components/tools.
- Proven experience working with data pipelines at scale and knowledge of common big data frameworks, such as hadoop/bigquery.
- Experience with common geo format (e.g., geojson, geodatabases like postgresql/postgis) a plus
What We Value
- Empathy. You are curious and eager to learn more about our users and understand their needs.
- Balance. You weigh speed and quality carefully and understand the tradeoffs.
- A collaborative approach to problem solving. You’ve worked with cross functional teams before and you enjoy the process.
- Active participation. You jump in and actively engage with the team and customers to build products people use.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity. Things get blurry, but you persevere to find clarity and communicate effectively with your teammates to ensure clarity for all.
- Passion. You are driven to improve the quality of life in urban environments.
- Our people! We work as a team and are excited to contribute to city planning.
- Competitive salary based on experience and potential for impact.
- Equity at an early stage startup.
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, and HSA option.
- 401k account + employer contribution.
- Offices in San Francisco, CA, Overland Park, KS, and remote.
- Flexible PTO.
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.