RStudio is seeking a candidate for a Software Engineer (backend) to join the RStudio Cloud team. RStudio Cloud is a software as a service product designed to help professionals, hobbyists, trainers, teachers, and students to more easily do, share, teach, and learn data science using RStudio’s best in class IDE, with the convenience of cloud computing.
About the job
In this position, you will be a member of a cross-functional team working daily with developers of various stripes, QA engineers, product managers, and site reliability engineers. This position is backend focused. You will be involved with a wide variety of tasks related to developing the RStudio Cloud platform, including:
- designing, developing, testing, and maintaining web applications and backend services,
- collaborating iteratively with product managers, and senior engineers build great software,
- participating in product planning discussions and requirements gathering,
- monitoring and troubleshooting production environments, including participation in an on-call rotation,
- continuously testing and deploying software using cloud-native technologies,
- giving and receiving feedback from other engineers in the form of code reviews and design sessions,
- supporting our users via support tickets and through our community forums.
RStudio Cloud is powered by a wide range of technologies. Some of the things we use every day to build amazing products include Python 3 (asyncio / tornado), Docker, Kubernetes, Ceph, Apache Kafka, Postgres, MySQL, InfluxDB and others. If you have experience with or are interested in learning more about any of these, then this might be the right place for you.
You are customer-focused and are driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for elegant design, clean code, and delightful user experiences. You love to learn and to help others succeed. You are humble, pragmatic, deliberate, and you have a keen sense of empathy for your co-workers and customers. You also have:
- 5+ years of full-stack programming experience in a professional environment using a high-level, object-oriented language (Python, Go, Java, Node.js, C#, or similar)
- a commitment to and experience with writing tests,
- a demonstrated understanding of scalable systems architecture,
- experience in relational database schema design and optimization,
- familiarity with microservices-based design patterns,
- a love of well-written documentation,
- and a passion for leaving things better than you found them
We are a fun-loving and diverse group who share a passion for building high-quality software and delivering a great user experience. Our team members live in various locations across the United States (and occasionally elsewhere!) and work together via Slack, holding regularly scheduled and ad-hoc video calls, and communicating our ideas through documents, images, and code (and code reviews).
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving engineers “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k Matching
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- A profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.