Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, this person will be needed to work within -4 Universal Time to -8 Universal Time, Monday to Friday. Your working hours must align with the Americas time zones (ie PST, EST, etc).
Why this job is exciting
As a software engineer on our Delivery team, you will be responsible for our self-hosted admin experience. It’s a technically challenging role in that the problems to solve tend to be varied, complex, multi-faceted, and require a balance of customer focus and technical grit. You will have opportunities to think from a strategic vantage point, seeing the big picture, and diving into the details. You won’t work directly with customers except on occasion / as-desired, but you will have a front row seat to how our admins deploy Sourcegraph, the problems they encounter, their frustrations and joys. By focusing on the self-hosted admin, you will be a key force in getting Sourcegraph in front of as many developers as possible. You will also get to collaborate not just with your teammates and other software engineers, but also our customer engineering and customer support teams.
Within one month, you will…
- Meet with peers and other members around the company to gain a sense of the team and the organization, understanding why and how we do things.
- Familiarize yourself with the product and with the areas of focus the Delivery team has within it.
- Understand the what, why, and how of the projects that we are working on and how our work contributes to our company goals.
- Have a direct impact on our customers by helping to unblock them or helping with one of our roadmap items.
Within three months, you will…
- Build on your understanding of why/how we work and make suggestions on what we can improve/change.
- Gain a more profound understanding of the needs of the product and become comfortable with diagnosing issues.
- Feel confident participating in our rotation to help our support team help customers.
- Participate in our roadmap planning, including suggesting new ideas.
Within six months, you will…
- Make a significant impact by being a key contributor and help us improve our existing engineering practices.
- Participate in the interview process for our team and/or other teams.
- Feel confident working more autonomously, leaning into our values, especially customer-driven, teamwork and high agency.
Within one year, you will…
- Have completed work that you feel genuinely proud of.
- Collaborate with product and engineering teammates to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve the goals for which you are responsible.
- Have contributed to hiring and retaining exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You have 3+ years of experience working with customers and in a devops/delivery capacity (doesn’t have to be from the same job)
- You default to sharing information, asking questions, seeking to understand, and meeting someone (teammates and customers) where they are
- You hold space for identifying solutions that focus on the customer as well as the technical details
- You gather puzzle pieces to create the bigger picture with pragmatism and a conviction for adding value to the customer experience
- You have experience with Linux, Docker, and a container orchestrator (i.e. Kubernetes, Nomad, Mesos)
- You have experience with these technologies we use at Sourcegraph or similar technologies: Git, Postgres, Redis, GCP/AWS/Azure, Datadog, New Relic, Prometheus, Grafana
- You have experience with Kubernetes, on-prem bare metal, CI/CD, networking, and/or security best practices for containerized workloads
- You share information in a way that is equally supportive and instructive
- You provide software as a service deployed in customer environments
- You have experience as devops/delivery consultant, solution engineer, and/or application engineer
Interview Process [~5 hours total interview]
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- Intro Conversation Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees