Software Engineer (Frontend) – RStudio Cloud
About the job
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. We’re a fast-growing company with the goal of making a lasting and meaningful contribution to the world. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
We are seeking to hire a Software Engineer (Front-End) to join the team working to build RStudio’s next-generation data science platform: RStudio Cloud. RStudio Cloud is a software-as-a-service product that brings the flexibility, and power of RStudios tools to the cloud, helping businesses, professionals, hobbyists, teachers, and students to more easily do, share, teach, and learn data science.
What you’ll own:
- development, testing, and maintenance of significant product features for front-end web applications
- taking a feature from development to release, solving challenging problems in elegant ways that create a delightful user experience
What you’ll help with:
- collaborating iteratively with other engineers, designers, and product managers to understand and revise upcoming features and other product improvements during grooming and design sessions
- giving and receiving feedback from other engineers in the form of code reviews
- supporting our users via support tickets and through our community forums
What you’ll teach:
- writing clean, modular, and highly testable code
What you’ll learn:
- any languages and technology we use, for the portions you don’t know already
- the RStudio products and how their data science customers work
You have 3+ years of professional software development experience working on a team to deliver substantial, cross-disciplinary software projects. You are user-focused and driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software by striving for elegant design, clean and well-tested code, and delightful user experiences. You excel at breaking down complex problems into bite-size tasks and driving them to completion. You love to learn and help others succeed through code review and other forms of mentorship. You are humble, pragmatic, deliberate, and you have a keen sense of empathy for your co-workers and users.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy