RStudio creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. We’re a fast-growing company with the goal of making a lasting and meaningful contribution to the world. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. Our commercial products provide a sustainable funding model for the continued development of the highest quality open source tools for data scientists and scientific computing at large.
We are seeking to hire a Software Engineer with a full-stack focus to join the team working to build RStudio’s next-generation data science platform: RStudio Cloud. RStudio Cloud is a software-as-a-service product that brings the flexibility, and power of RStudio’s tools to the cloud, helping businesses, professionals, hobbyists, teachers, and students to more easily do, share, teach, and learn data science.
What you’ll own:
- designing, building, testing, and operating new features and functionality for a variety of Python-based microservices and ReactJS web applications that support the RStudio Cloud platform
- taking a feature from development to release, solving challenging problems with tested, pragmatic and maintainable code, and delightful user experiences
- collaborating iteratively with other engineers, designers, and product managers to understand and revise upcoming features and other product improvements during grooming and design sessions
What you’ll help with:
- extending user-facing and internal web applications using ReactJS + Redux
- designing and implementing RESTful APIs using Python 3
- creating performant database queries and schemas using SQL and NoSQL databases
- deploying code multiple times per week with CI/CD automation
- giving and receiving feedback from other engineers in the form of code reviews
- operating, monitoring, and troubleshooting production environments, including participation in an on-call rotation
- supporting our users via support tickets and through our community forums
What you’ll learn:
- building high-scale applications using technologies like Kubernetes and AWS
- managing and working with large, multi-language, complex code bases in a 24/7 environment
- any languages and technology we use, for the portions you don’t know already
- the RStudio products and how their data science customers use them
What you’ll teach:
- building software using objected-oriented design patterns (we primarily use Python on the backend, but experience with any high-level object-oriented programming language like Java, C#, Go, etc., is acceptable).
- writing clean, modular, and highly testable code
You have 3+ years of professional software development experience working on a team to deliver substantial software-as-a-service projects. You are user-focused and driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building amazing software by striving for elegant design, clean and well-tested code, and delightful user experiences. You excel at breaking down complex problems into bite-size tasks and driving them to completion. You love to learn and help others succeed through code review and other forms of mentorship. You are humble, pragmatic, deliberate, and you have a keen sense of empathy for your co-workers and users.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.