RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
The IDE team builds the core of the RStudio ecosystem: the RStudio IDE, in both desktop and server variants. We are passionate about building the world’s best software for professional data science. On this team, you’ll build server-related features focused on RStudio Server Pro. This is a senior role that requires handling multiple assignments, embracing uncertainty, and taking ownership of significant feature areas.
About the Job:
In this position, you will be a member of a cross-functional team working daily with developers of various stripes, QA engineers, product managers, and site reliability engineers. You will be involved with a wide variety of tasks related to developing the RStudio workbench, including:
- designing, developing, testing and maintaining tools for R and Python development to empower data scientists
- enhancing our server architecture towards robustness, scalability, deployability in cloud-native environments
- giving and receiving feedback from other engineers in the form of code reviews and design sessions
- supporting our customers via support tickets and through our community forums
You are customer-focused and are driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for clean code that is easy to understand. You love to learn and to help others succeed. You thrive on an agile team. You also have:
- 7+ years of experience developing large-scale, highly available, distributed systems on Linux
- advanced C++ or Java skills. Multithreading experience required.
- architectural experience with AWS / Azure / GCP technology stacks and operation (load balancing, network proxies is a plus)
- experience working with relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- experience developing authentication using SAML, OpenID, PAM, Kerberos is an asset
- practical experience building RESTful microservices
- a commitment to and experience with writing tests
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.