At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
Engineering at 2U is dynamic, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us and in return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing and autonomous. You’ll be working directly with product managers and business analysts in a highly collaborative manner.
We are looking for a talented software engineer to join the Cosmonauts team. We work mainly on platform related code as well as plugins, containerization of the platform, and other related initiatives. This is also a unique opportunity to contribute to a large open source project, though this role would not be fully allocated to such, but the opportunity is there. An ideal candidate will be someone who has experience building and maintaining scalable backend systems. You will participate in the discovery, design and engineering of platform related code, plugins, containerization, and more. You’ll help troubleshoot complex business and production issues as they arise and uphold industry best practices while helping the team continuously improve.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner and about software craftsmanship.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Write clean, performant code and refactor legacy code to improve maintainability
- Conduct exploratory and automated testing
- Efficiently debug complex problems
- Participate and potentially lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts
- Be active in providing feedback to other team-members
- Plan and estimate development tasks and short-term projects
- Relate your project deliverables to the products you are building and the strategy behind them
- Collaborate with product team (product managers, business analysts) to define and refine requirements
- Practice metrics driven software development
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Python (we use Django), other backend languages
- Unit and/or automated testing
- Databases and key value stores like MySQL or Redis
- Docker and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes or Mesos
- Logging systems and platforms like Splunk, CloudWatch, DataDog, etc
- Monitoring platforms like New Relic
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Strong interest in EdTech
- Previous EdTech experience
- Previous participation in architectural exercises within an organization
- Previous open source software contributor experience
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is $120,000- 144,500 with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we’re not stopping there — we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.