We’re looking for a Gameplay Engineer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Gameplay Engineer, you will be responsible for building and fine-tuning the game systems that drive our player experiences. You will prototype, implement, troubleshoot, and enhance the game systems, scripts, and tools that support content creation. You will also support our team of Technical Designers to help turn game designs into amazing player experiences. You will be the first customer of our game systems, using those systems to build the game while driving improvements to them.
Who you are:
- You have strong fundamental programming skills and can build highly flexible systems.
- You care about the whole player experience, including audio, art, animation, and the finely-tuned, moment-to-moment look-and-feel of the game .
- You understand the needs of designers and are passionate about giving them the tools to realize their vision
- You enjoy collaboration with colleagues from both Technical and Creative disciplines.
Some of your role:
- Implement, maintain, and troubleshoot game experiences in both high-quality C++ and well-structured scripts.
- Develop and improve extendable gameplay modules and scripting systems that can be used and customized by our technical designers.
- Work with Senior Engineers to design and prototype new game systems.
- Collaborate with Designers, Artists, and other Creatives to iterate upon the game experiences that bring Hytale to life.
- 4+ years of professional programming experience in C++
- 2+ years working in a game engine (commercial or proprietary)
- 1+ years experience with scripting systems (e.g., Lua, etc).
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and game engine fundamentals
- Proficient at communicating with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum software development process
- Deeply and/or broadly played in the block-, voxel-, and/or survival-game genres
- Experience developing and tuning melee and ranged combat systems
- Experience with networked, multiplayer gameplay
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.