GitHub is looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our Platform Team in the Development Lifecycle organization.
Our team is responsible for building and maintaining GitHub’s runtime platform. This platform enables developers to easily build, deploy and manage the hundreds of applications that make up the world’s largest code hosting platform. On the Platform team, you’ll work with and learn from highly experienced engineers across the entire engineering organization. You’ll collaborate with product, design and more to deliver the best possible developer experience for all engineers here at GitHub.
This team and its parent Development Lifecycle organization are highly distributed across the US & Europe, and span a variety of diverse backgrounds. We recognize the value this diversity brings to our teams and our products, so creating (and maintaining) an environment where every individual feels safe to bring their unique perspective to the challenges we’re solving is important to us.
- Work closely with other teams from around the organization to understand and support their development, debugging, monitoring, and automation needs
- Build tools and systems that empathetically and pragmatically meet real operability needs of GitHub developers
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, including participating in on-call rotations and responding to incidents as necessary
- Great communications skills and a willingness to pair program, mob on tough bugs, brainstorm in public, and otherwise enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Proficiency in one of: Go or Ruby
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience building out and maintaining large, distributed systems
- Developed and operated production applications in a Linux or Unix environment
- Experience building out web application UIs, especially in React
- Experience working on a fully remote team
- Experience building developer tooling, including working directly with developer “customers” to design and create optimal user experiences
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description! You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.