ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with PST for at least 6 hours/day.
Why this job is exciting
As a software engineer on the Repository Management team, you will play a key role in building the software that enables other companies to integrate with Sourcegraph regardless of what code host they use. You will help us evolve our internal Git server that every team in Sourcegraph relies upon.
The Repository Management team has a broad area of ownership within our engineering organization. We are responsible for repository management in addition to authorization and authentication, which are central to all Sourcegraph features. We maintain and evolve the methods by which code is pulled into Sourcegraph from code hosts, in a way that supports all required functionality while maximizing performance, reliability, and ease of use.
This role gives you the opportunity to solve complex, challenging, and highly technical problems for our customers, both internally and externally.
Within one month:
- You will get onboarded into the Sourcegraph architecture, tooling, and development workflow.
- You will build a solid understanding of the team’s areas of ownership, technical challenges, and problems we solve for our customers. You will know how all of them align with the top-level company goals.
- You will contribute to the team goals and deliverables by shipping new features, debugging issues, and fixing bugs.
Within three months:
- You will start leading initiatives that contribute to the team goals through discovery and delivery phases, collaborate directly with product and design partners, other engineering teams, and non-technical stakeholders from different departments.
- You will participate in the team’s on-call and support rotation.
- You will actively contribute to the team’s technical discussions and architecture designs and help your team grow technical and non-technical skills.
Within six months:
- You will actively contribute to defining a long-term technical vision and strategy for new product development, scaling existing services, and managing technical debt. These plans will consist of multiple smaller milestones, which you will deliver with your team in chunks.
- You will collaborate with your engineering peers on identifying and solving different technical and organizational challenges in a rapidly growing engineering organization.
You are a software engineer with the skills and proven experience in building software and services at scale, with distributed systems complexities and challenges. You are aligned with and willing to contribute to our values. You enjoy working on challenging problems and care deeply about the product’s end-user experience.
- You are proficient in Go, or have a solid foundation in other strongly-typed programming languages and are keen on getting up to speed with Go in your first months at Sourcegraph.
- You are passionate about building highly reliable, secure, maintainable, and scalable systems.
- You tend to deliver work incrementally to get feedback and iterate on your solutions.
- You communicate well, accept and incorporate feedback from others, and are happy to work on features as well as less-glamorous (but still critical) tasks.
- You enjoy working on highly collaborative, dynamic, and remote teams in a startup environment.
Nice to haves
- You have experience with repository management at scale using Git, Perforce, CVS, or other version control systems.
- You have experience with building SaaS products.
- You have experience in identity and access management space.
Interview process [~4 hour 45 minutes total interview]
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [30 min] Hiring Manager interview with Jordan Plahn, Engineering Manager for the Repository Management team
- [3 hr] “Onsite Interview”
- [1 hr] Technical Interview: Complex coding problem deep dive with members of our engineering team
- [1 hr] Technical Interview: Architecture with members of our engineering team
- [1 hr] Cross-functional Team Collaboration interview with members of our product and design team
- [30 min] Leadership interview with Quinn Slack, CEO
- We make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.