Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The EtsyWeb Infrastructure Services team supports, maintains, and builds mission-critical services that are woven into the backbone of Etsy’s infrastructure. Our services ensure that tens of millions of buyers and sellers in the Etsy community can communicate, view images and video, and see up-to-date listing information. We also support internal teams at Etsy with services for asynchronous job processing, configuration management, and infrastructure inventory.
We’re looking for people who are equally excited about both infrastructure and software engineering. We work with various languages and tools to support a variety of distinct service stacks, including PHP, Python, Golang, Terraform, Chef, Linux, GCP, and Elasticsearch. We are also responsible for supporting the teams at Etsy who use these services.
As a member of our dynamic, international team, you’ll participate in shaping and building the Cloud-based foundational services that power Etsy and will help ensure its continued growth.
Our role is full-time based out of our Brooklyn/NYC or Dublin, Ireland offices, but we are also open to remote candidates residing in most US states (excluding Hawaii & Alaska). For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the role
- Design, build and support scalable, maintainable and resilient service stacks
- Leverage your creativity and technical experience in diverse technologies like Terraform, Kubernetes, Chef, GoLang, email, video/images, PHP, Linux Administration & Shell Scripting, etc
- Collaborate with teams across Etsy to support our services and define requirements for service development
- Participate in our periodic afterhours on-call rotation
- Identify opportunities to reduce toil and avoid technical debt to help improve day-to-day operations on the team
- Share and build your strong empathy, communication, and technical skills, which are all valued equally
- You have 3+ years of experience in software engineering and/or DevOps roles, preferably in a cloud environment
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems and bash scripting
- Hands-on experience with Infrastructure As Code and configuration management tooling is essential
- Proficiency in a modern programming language with software design and development skills is required
- You’re able to work effectively both with teammates and independently, whether remote or in-person
- You’re comfortable analyzing and implementing solutions to challenging and often vaguely scoped problems
- You have a “leave it better than you found it” mentality, and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write.
- You are able to provide accurate time estimates around your projects
- You are creative and passionate about technology and are as eager to contribute and share your knowledge and ideas as you are to learn from others
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator with an eye for concise and clear written communication
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.