At HashiCorp, we’re building a generation-defining infrastructure software company, powered by our core principles and a growing team of talented, committed professionals working together to help organizations seamlessly transition to and operate in the cloud. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, 85 percent of our employees work remotely, strategically distributed around the globe. From our inception we built the company with a remote-first approach because we believe talent has no boundaries.
The Terraform Platform Engineering group is composed of Site Reliability Engineers and distributed systems engineers working on the Terraform Cloud hosted service. Our group ensures that the platform’s underlying infrastructure, data stores, and core foundational services are reliable, performant, and robust. We work closely with the engineering teams that ship features for both Terraform Cloud and the Terraform Enterprise on-premise product. Together, we comprise the Terraform Commercial organization within engineering.
We’re looking to create a new team focused on enabling Terraform Commercial’s 50+ engineers to be more efficient and productive in their work. This team will be focused on three areas: DevTools and test environments, build and release pipelines (CI/CD, release engineering, etc.), and test harnesses and infrastructure.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer to help define the vision for a new team that will have tremendous impact within our group, seeking answers to questions like:
- How can we prevent developers from being distracted by flaky tests or a lack of standardized test methodology across our services?
- How can we minimize time spent between code commit and production deploy, without sacrificing quality or reliability?
- How do we accurately verify changes in our test and staging environments, so we can be confident that a production deploy will be successful?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, we’d love to meet you! We have a large footprint and a quickly-growing user base, with lots of interesting problems and plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Think critically about the current challenges of a high-delivery engineering organization, and develop novel solutions
- Jointly develop and execute on a roadmap for solving identified challenges
- Work closely with engineering leaders and managers within our group, and other teams within the company focused on quality and reliability
- Grow into a technical leader for a new discipline for our organization
You’re a great fit if you have:
- Informed opinions (from prior experience) about:
- Test methodology and tooling for Go and Rails (RSpec, etc.)
- CI / CD tools and build + release pipelines
- Test infrastructure and systems supporting complex distributed systems, with several services and codebases
- Experience as a software engineer implementing, testing, and debugging unit tests for Rails and Go applications
- Desire to think strategically about these sort of challenges, and jointly develop a vision, roadmap, etc. for a team to execute
- Ability to alternate between big-picture thinking and roll-up-your-sleeves engineering work
- A passion for focusing work on unblocking others and empowering engineers to do their best work
- Comfort working across several Go and Rails codebases
How We Work
At HashiCorp, we operate according to a strong set of company principles, many of which are described in The Tao of HashiCorp. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. While prior experience working remotely isn’t required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Application Process
All work requires excellent written communication skills, remote work doubly so. For this reason, we require a cover letter for your application to be considered complete.
In your cover letter, please describe what draws you to working at HashiCorp and to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience are great to include, too.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.