Software Engineering Manager
San Francisco or Remote in the U.S.
Notice: The entire Code for America Staff will be offline from Saturday, November 20th until Sunday November 28th for celebration and recharge with our loved ones. We look forward to responding to you upon return and thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. We hope you have a happy holiday. –CfA’s Talent Acquisition Team
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to help cultivate a happy, healthy, and high performing engineering team at Code for America.
About the Role:
Engineering Managers typically manage no more than 5 direct reports who span multiple teams. By mentoring people across the organization, as well as participating directly in hands-on technical work, you’ll help create and spread our engineering culture and practices.
In this role, you will spend approximately 25% of your time on people management and approximately 75% of your time embedded on one of our product teams as a contributing engineer. This role explicitly does not include product or project management responsibilities (those duties are encompassed by our Product Manager and Engineering Lead roles — see this article for more of our thinking on engineering leadership roles).
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco or remote within the U.S., and reports to one of our Engineering Managers. Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our team is currently operating in a fully remote fashion. Though we are remote, our team deeply values live collaboration which is typically between the hours of 9:30am to 4pm Pacific Time. You can find more information on our remote work policy for Software Engineering here.
In this position you will:
- Support your direct reports through regular 1:1s, gathering and providing candid feedback, helping think through career growth and goal setting, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Ensure your direct reports have what they need, surface issues to leadership, and advise on project staffing so that individual contributors and teams at CfA are set up for success.
- Help with interviewing and hiring to ensure that we improve our team and maintain our core values with each hire we make.
- Spend time writing code and contributing to one of our main product teams, directly helping deliver government services to those who need them most.
- Foster an inclusive and equitable working environment where everyone is supported to do their best work.
- At least 7 years experience as a software engineer, engineering manager, or equivalent, including at least 1 year of people management responsibility
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Highly organized and able to balance management and engineering tasks
- Strong technical skills and experience with agile software development practices
- Ability to lead by influence: coaching, mentoring, creating and reinforcing culture, and setting an example by your actions
- Experience building and leading diverse team
It’s a bonus if you:
- Have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
- Are familiar with and comfortable with pair programming and test driven development (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails and/or Java Spring
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $139,400 – $188,600 in yearly salary. As part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $157,850. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials. The highest cost of living adjustment is 15%.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.