We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
A letter from our Head of Engineering:
Dear future Benchmate,
There has never been a more exciting time to join Bench. We’re on our way to make a profound difference in the quality of life of a million people.
Finance is inseparable from the human experience. Our personal finances influence our mental and physical wellbeing, where we live, our education, our family structures, and the opportunities we do or do not have. In the mind of a small business owner, there is no distinction between their business finances and their personal finances. Working at a Bench isn’t about fintech; it’s about making a difference in the quality of life of human beings.
Bench is already the biggest bookkeeper in North America—we currently have over 11,000 clients, and in 2020 alone we processed $21B in transactions—and we’re just at the beginning of our technological journey.
The next step for us is “Powered by Bench.” Bench already partners with notable companies to make a difference for our shared customers. Now, these partners are asking us for a “Powered by Bench” experience that lives directly inside their own UX. “Powered by Bench” is going to take us from tens of thousands of clients to millions.
We need help. We’re looking for intermediate and senior software engineers who align with our mission of using technology to profoundly improve the lives of our customers at scale. What we do is immensely creative; it requires us to fall in love with the problems we’re tackling, and then challenge ourselves to resolve them with the simplest solutions we can dream up. It is also immensely collaborative; our Technology teams work hand-in-hand with Product and Design, and also have deep ties across our service organizations. Only together can we create something truly groundbreaking for our clients.
Does this sound like how you want to spend your time?
If you join us, I promise that you will grow tremendously, live a rich life both at and away from work, and have a great time while doing it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can’t wait to meet you.
Blake Turner, Head of Technology
When you join Bench, we personally commit to your growth. As part of our interview process, we use our growth framework to assess your current level—Engineer 1-5. This interview assessment process helps us have powerful conversations about growth before you even join us!
This job posting is for engineers 2-5 (see descriptions below)—we also hire and train junior engineers, we just post the role separately. Here are some rough guidelines for each role. You can dig deeper into our competency matrix.
Engineer 2 – Junior or Associate Engineer ($86,880 – $108,600)
An Engineer 2 tends to have 1-2 years of relevant industry experience and is an individual contributor who is trusted to execute small and medium tasks with autonomy. Like an Engineer 1, an Engineer 2 uses all the resources available to them to grow fast. Unlike an Engineer 1, they are expected to think beyond their own learning to ensure that the software their team develops is maintainable and reliable. They lead smaller projects and they use their experience to contribute to larger projects. They solidify their knowledge through mentoring each other and Engineer 1s. Their success is measured by their own growth and by their contribution to their team.
Engineer 3 – Intermediate Engineer ($108,640 – $135,800)
An Engineer 3 tends to have 3-5 yrs of relevant industry experience and is a fully competent individual contributor who can be relied upon to execute with high quality and speed with significant autonomy. Through their practice, they improve the performance, reliability, maintainability, and security of our systems. They are significant contributors to our architecture and feature planning. They make their teams stronger through upholding our cultural principles, optimizing processes, and mentoring their peers and Eng 1/2s. They are measured by the quality and speed with which they improve our systems, and by their impact on their team.
Engineer 4 – Senior Engineer ($135,760- $169,700)
An Engineer 4 tends to have 5-10 yrs of relevant industry experience and takes their rock-solid individual capabilities and uses them to act as a multiplier for the abilities of the other members of their team. This is a significant jump in responsibility from Engineer 3—from this point forward, it’s not about your individual contributions, it’s about the overall success of the people who work with you. Engineer 4s live and breathe our culture, and accept responsibility for the health and security of the systems they work with. They work with their team to seek alignment in how we build so that their teammates can operate autonomously with confidence.
Engineer 5 – Staff Engineer ($169,680 – $212,100)
An Engineer 5 tends to have 10+ yrs of relevant industry experience and is an expert in their domain and a technical leader at Bench. They are charged with increasing the quality of Bench Engineering through direct contribution, mentorship, process innovation, defining/implementing conventions, and finding alignment in principles that ensure we consistently make good decisions. They are accountable for the security, reliability, and performance of all our systems.
For all roles above, you’ll need to have:
For all roles above, it’s really nice to have
- Experience/Expertise in Typescript (ReactJS/NodeJS)
- Experience/Expertise in JVM languages (Java/Scala)
- Experience/Expertise in AWS technologies—specifically serverless
Bonus points if you have:
- Open source projects
- A history of delivering talks at conferences
- Another career before this one—you’d be surprised how much crossover there is
- A passion that you want to tell us about!
The extra details:
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Vacation in the Technology organization is unlimited. 2 weeks paid time off, and unlimited flex days.
- Technology is a remote-first organization. That said, we support folks in all the ways they want to go to work. We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one. This role can be remote and located anywhere in the following provinces: BC, AB, ON and NB! Or you can work hybrid from our Vancouver, BC office.
- Bench offers Affinity groups which are a gathering of people who have shared identities and experiences. The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- As a Benchmate, you will have the opportunity to influence policy and processes and be part of initiatives to effect change and improve the status quo
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary ranges for each role are listed above and we’ve recently made a change to our compensation process—learn more about why and what practices we’re putting in place here.
For a deep dive on how we define Engineering roles at Bench, please see our competencies matrix. To learn more about how we do things, you can also read through our Technology Organization Handbook and our blog.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.