At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
The Data Platform organization is reinventing the way 2U and edX stakeholders interact with our internal data estate. We are leveraging best-of-breed technology solutions to democratize data and enable self-service analytics for power users across the company including departments such as Data Science, Marketing, and Finance.
As the team’s sole Solution Architect, you will be responsible for the roadmap and all specifications of the enterprise data platform. You will guide, influence the work, and develop the vision of the Data Engineering team. This position is a key individual contributor role reporting to the Data Engineering Manager, Data Platform.
In working with engineering, you will drive the design and development of the systems, processes, and data applications necessary to support scaling up of the platform to hundreds of data hungry employees and external business partners/universities. You’ll also have the opportunity to collaborate with external development teams and South African colleagues in an inclusive environment to onboard new data sources into the data lake.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Own the vision, strategy, and outcomes of Data Platform operations.
- Manage the Product Backlog, by clearly expressing user stories, prioritize them and craft detailed requirements.
- Provide scoping estimates and set acceptance criteria for minimum viable features.
- Lead architectural discussions and participate in design exercises.
- Work closely with the data engineering team on an ongoing basis to deliver the planned stories.
- Initiate and foster relationships with other groups and stakeholders to distill data needs.
- Organize and coordinate work efficiently to monitor progress and meet deadlines.
- Located or willing to work in North America (Eastern) time zone.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 4+ years’ experience with architectural design and implementation experience in a Data Warehousing & Business Analytics environment
- Prior experience in a technical capacity (Software Engineering, Data Engineering or an Analytics Engineering background)
- Solid understanding of data storage in the cloud (Snowflake and AWS strongly preferred)
- Understanding of modern ETL/ELT tools such as Airflow, dbt, Stitch, & Fivetran
- Experienced with common software platforms for product requirements and process including JIRA, Confluence, and GitHub
- Familiarity with Bash, Python and SQL
- Experience with Agile software development
- Self directed with a bias towards action and a consistent record of getting results
While this position is open to remote candidates across the U.S., we will prioritize those who live in the Washington-Baltimore metropolitan area and who are available to come into our Headquarters in Lanham, MD two days a week.
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is ($83,500-121,000), with potential bonus eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we’re not stopping there — we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.