Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Maui, and Washington, DC.
At Leap, we believe in cross-functional collaboration, creative thinking to solve complex problems, and job enrichment. We are a mission-driven organization. Not only will your impact be felt within the day-to-day operations; together, we have the ability to make the world more sustainable and greener.
We are seeking a seasoned Director of Engineering/Head to work alongside a diverse set of people that are motivated to make a difference in the world. This role reports directly to the COO.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- You aspire to build and manage engineering teams.
- At least 7 years of professional coding experience as well as 5 years of managing engineering teams.
- You are passionate about automating testing.
- Are great at estimating work units and ensuring teams work efficiently
- The ability to build great APIs, products, and/or complex systems at scale, and from scratch.
- Throughout your career, you have demonstrated the ability to build, scale and manage large teams.
- Have demonstrated the ability to measure and improve team performance
- Excellent communication, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with a diverse team of amazingly talented and fun people in a fast-paced startup environment.
- The ability to cultivate a positive company culture that values cross-team collaboration and trust.
- Experience at API-based companies such as Stripe, Twilio, or Plaid is a bonus, as well as experience working for remote first or only companies.
- Dedication to building a diverse and inclusive culture within teams.
What you will be working on:
- Provide a clear strategy for the Engineering team, build and grow an exceptional team and drive organizational focus and alignment.
- Ensuring system infrastructure is functioning, working efficiently and reliably.
- Managing our data engineering efforts, including maintaining data integrity.
- Managing and building our engineering team.
- Coach, mentor, and recruit engineers that are amongst the best in the industry.
- Empowering the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity and quality.
- Ensure that the engineering team is working effectively and efficiently.
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent in the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.