At HashiCorp, we’re building a generation-defining infrastructure software company, powered by our core principles and a growing team of talented, committed professionals working together to help organizations seamlessly transition to and operate in the cloud. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, 85 percent of our employees work remotely, strategically distributed around the globe. From our inception we built the company with a remote-first approach because we believe talent has no boundaries.
At HashiCorp, we operate according to a strong set of company principles, many of which are described in The Tao of HashiCorp. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. We are looking for a Full-time Remote Employee within the US, UK, Canada, or the Netherlands. While prior experience working remotely isn’t required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Packer, and Vagrant. Alongside that, we deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
Terraform Enterprise presents unique and exciting technical challenges. The Terraform Enterprise team is the team dedicated to taking the software running in our Terraform Cloud SaaS offering and delivering it into our Enterprise customer’s infrastructure. Focusing on providing a beautiful customer experience around installing, administering, operating and maintaining Terraform Enterprise. This means that the responsibilities of the team span a wide range of technical competencies from Software Engineering to Systems Engineering to Infrastructure Engineering to Site Reliability Engineering and everything in-between. You aren’t expected to be an expert in every discipline, but you should have deep expertise in one Engineering aspect and will get exposure/experience in all of them.
For this particular position we are looking for a candidate with more of a traditional product-focused Software Engineering background that can help the team add enterprise features to the Ruby on Rails (the heart of Terraform Enterprise is a RoR application) and Go codebases.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Switch fluidly between Infrastructure Engineering and Software Engineering tasks. For example: The results of your debugging investigation into a boot ordering issue one morning pushes us to decide to rewrite a Bash bootstrapping script in Go, a task you pick up that afternoon.
- Discover, design, and build the software that helps us support Terraform Enterprise customers (e.g. telemetry and diagnostics tooling designed for airgapped environments). You are able to lead large projects independently, understanding how our product fits in the overall company strategy.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to determine and prioritize new features and enhancements. You understand and can foresee how decisions may impact the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of our own team and closely related teams.
- Design, build, iterate on, and ship the Terraform modules, machine images, system configuration, and software that hosts Terraform Enterprise in customer environments.
- Work on the full stack of the system. For example: While working on a customer-reported issue, you discover that we need to handle an unforeseen error condition in one of our Go services. You author the fix, get it reviewed and deployed to the SaaS, and pull it in for the next Enterprise release.
You may be a good fit for our team if…
- You have 4+ years working with Ruby/Rails and/or Go.
- You care deeply about product experiences.
- You have a strong Software Engineering background with a familiarity of Systems/Infrastructure Engineering concepts such as infrastructure as code, software defined networking, virtualization, and the tools used to operate and maintain related systems.
- While this is not an SRE role, you are familiar with Day-2 concepts such as Monitoring and Observability of production systems.
- You get energy out of the prospect of diving into work that requires you to learn new things.
- You understand that success in modern engineering requires navigating the tension between the overall technical ideal and the pragmatic next step. You are ready to help your team trend towards ideal solutions in the long term while also delivering concrete solutions to real problems in the near term.
- Familiarity with the Replicated native scheduler.
- Experience writing developer tools for containerization/schedulers.
- Experience with Enterprise Authentication paradigms such as SAML and OIDC.
- Writing and deploying software for highly-compliant industries.
About the Application Process
All work requires excellent written communication skills, remote work doubly so. For this reason, we require a cover letter for your application to be considered complete.
In your cover letter, please describe what draws you to working at HashiCorp and to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience are great to include, too.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.