As a Senior Engineering Manager at Appcues, you will be responsible for coaching and growing one of our mission-critical engineering teams. You will manage the engineers and QA on this team to help them accomplish their most significant work. Through exceptional servant-leadership, mentoring, and agile practices, you will ensure your team’s success and professional growth.
Appcues is a SaaS platform used by thousands of companies to improve their products without writing any code. Our world-class customers, such as Amplitude, Lyft, and Segment, embed Appcues in their products to influence user behavior and grow their business through beautiful in-app experiences they design.
About the role
- The engineering and product team currently has 53 people, from nine countries, organized into six teams with clear missions and accountability. We have been actively growing in 2022 and our aim is to continue that growth of over 10% by the end of the year.
- Your peers across the department include the other engineering managers, product managers, and a design lead. You will also work directly with the VP of engineering, Chris Brookins, and the engineering director, Jessica DuHadway.
- The engineers you manage and coach collaborate in a cross-functional and empowered product team with a product manager and designer. The team owns our customer analytics, exposing our experience details, and admin site. The team is currently responsible for one of the engineering department’s main goals.
- You will coach your team through exceptional hiring, mentoring, and one-on-ones to ensure they live our values and improve their craft. As a servant-leader, you will remove impediments, identify growth opportunities, and celebrate your team’s successes.
- You will help your team balance the dual priorities of adding new customer value and paying down technical debt. You know these investments are crucial to building a modern, agile platform over the long term.
- You will be responsible for scheduling and leading our agile team meetings such as grooming, planning, and retrospectives. You will perform capacity planning and partner with product managers to estimate timelines and manage a cone of uncertainty.
- You’ll collaborate with product, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful UX.
- In the past, you’ve been a successful engineer. However, your real passion is to lead and mentor people, making a more significant impact through others.
- When needed, you don’t fear difficult conversations to resolve a situation and do what is right. You understand the value of direct, transparent, respectful, and kind feedback, knowing that it’s a gift your teammates can use to grow.
- You are incredibly thoughtful when it comes to hiring people and can identify their strengths and where they can improve. You prioritize hiring someone that is a long-term complement to the team versus someone who thinks like everyone else.
- You are an excellent active listener with humility and empathy. You naturally build relationships with your team and peers. You often debate the other side of issues and try on other people’s perspectives so that you can learn new things.
- You are comfortable managing and coaching remote teams and believe it is the future of work. You embrace asynchronous communication and work hard to help your team achieve an ideal flow and deep, focused work.
- Diversity and inclusion aren’t just buzzwords to you. You know you can’t have a world-class team without people with various backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
- You have a track record of coaching teams to deliver large, complex SaaS projects to completion. This isn’t your first rodeo in the cloud.
- You have excellent judgment and have made many critical decisions by collecting information, asking questions, and weighing various trade-offs. You are quick to admit when you have been wrong and are comfortable being vulnerable about what you learned.
- You can comfortably work 10-5 Eastern Time. We are a 100% remote-1st company so you can work from anywhere. As a Senior Engineering Manager, we require this overlap to allow for effective collaboration within your team and with your peers.
100% remote – We don’t have an office so all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won’t change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and, after COVID times, will get together twice a year for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being – You’ll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Fair pay – Each role has a defined salary band, bands and salaries are audited on a regular basis to help maintain fairness and market value
Home office and tech budget – Besides paying for your work computer (Mac or PC), we offer a one-time $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us – Home office not cutting it? We’ll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity – We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration – We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns., and an annual learning stipend.
Unlimited vacation – We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so we expect each employee to take a minimum of ten days of vacation per year. Employees based in the USA also take off all US federal holidays. Employees residing in other countries can choose to follow their local national holidays or US federal holidays.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.