WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools – both district and charter – in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partners. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
We are seeking a detail-oriented Staff Accountant to support the ANet’s Finance & Accounting Team with all areas relating to accounting functions. This Staff Accountant will be responsible for executing daily, weekly and monthly accounting activities to ensure timely closes and accurate financial reporting. This position will manage crucial aspects of the team’s work including A/R, A/P, travel and expenses, general ledger preparation, fund accounting, internal/external audits and legal compliance. Overall, this person will play a critical role in ensuring ANet’s financial sustainability as the organization continues to grow and evolve. This position will report to the Director of Accounting and will work closely with a four-person team supporting an organizational operating budget of $31 million.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Execute on accounting activities to support ANet’s financial health and sustainability
● Manage Accounts Receivable (A/R), Accounts Payable (A/P) and Travel and Expenses (T&E) processes and systems
● Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
● Maintain financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and fund accounting
● Maintain accounting controls and recommend revisions to accounting policies and procedures as needed
● Support audit activities
● Perform day to day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, computing, posting and recording A/R’s data
● Responsible for generating invoices, recognizing revenue, and tracking receipts of cash in accordance with quarterly revenue collections goals based on historical metrics which provide a framework for time-to-cash and A/R performance
● Responsible for overseeing A/R payment collections & follow ups; flagging potential issues with A/R including but not limited to challenges with delivery, contract alignment, administration, and payment delays
● Monitor and manage all grant accounting
● Prepare bills receivable, invoices and bank deposits
● Cross train in accounts payable & travel systems and processes
● Partner with other Accounting Team members to develop a more efficient A/R system to drive revenue collections
Contribute to the overall success of the Finance & Accounting Team
● Identify areas of process improvement within the department to improve the team’s overall performance and refine accounting policies and procedures as needed
● Support the evaluation and implementation of accounting, purchasing and invoicing systems that will support ANet’s long-term growth goals
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have 2-4 years of prior experience executing accounting activities (including A/R, A/P, travel and expenses, etc.).
● You have exceptional analytical skills and bring strong attention to detail in everything you do.
● You demonstrate proficiency in both verbal and written communication
● You are a collaborative team player and your positive customer service attitude makes you excel at communicating and managing projects with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
● You bring familiarity and comfort in financial systems (ex: QuickBooks) and advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
● You are deadline-driven and solutions-oriented and thrive at working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values, and our work towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● Experience with MS Excel, Google Sheets, and QuickBooks
● Experience with nonprofit accounting practices
● Bachelor’s degree or relevant certification is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We offer comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: medical, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including 10 paid holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; paid parental leave; educational expenses reimbursements; flexible spending accounts; professional development; a 401(k) plan with a 4% match; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance. We also offer an inclusive environment where we welcome you to bring your whole self to work every day.
The pay range for this position is between $31.00 – $46.00 per hour. New staff members typically start between the range minimum and midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In order to uphold our commitment to equity, ANet does not negotiate pay.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application online.
ANet has implemented a Mandatory Vaccination Policy, which requires all staff to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons prior to commencement of employment unless applicable state or local law provides otherwise.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.