Staff Engineer, Data – Data Services & Enterprise Data Warehouse
Weedmaps’ mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Through our industry-leading marketplace, we connect the cannabis market’s highest value and intent consumers with the best dispensaries and brands in the world and provide cannabis retailers with the suite of operational tools they need to efficiently run their businesses.
Weedmaps is looking for a Staff Data Engineer to help architect, design, build and maintain our data platform. You’ll be joining our Data Engineering team where you’ll play a key role in driving engineering excellence in support of our business goals.
The impact you’ll make:
- Lead development and maintain ETL data pipelines, integrating a wide range of data sources to support business applications and internal analytics needs.
- Create repeatable solution patterns and standards for relevant data management capabilities to ensure data consistency and accuracy, while maintaining SLA requirements.
- Perform technology and product assessments to drive required infrastructure needs to meet scalability, availability, security and concurrency needs.
- Cross team collaboration with Product, Analytics and Engineering teams, participate in all phases of SDLC – product requirement gathering, design, development and support.
- Coach and mentor team members to improve their designs and ETL processes.
- Take responsibility for the success and quality of your team’s deliverables throughout their life cycle to business value.
- Build long term technical strategies for the team that align with Weedmaps’s business plan and influence the overall technical direction.
What you’ve accomplished:
- 12+ years of Data Engineering experience leading large-scale, enterprise-grade projects
- 10+ years of Data Warehousing and ETL experience
- 5+ years of Spark/PySpark/Databricks experience
- 3+ years of working with Snowflake Data Warehouse
- Experience using StreamSets or major ETL tools
- Deep knowledge of data warehousing and data modeling concepts.
- Experience building data integration pipelines, familiarity with ETL, ELT, Change Data Capture (CDC), Streaming and other data processing patterns.
- Experience with Airflow or similar workflow management solutions.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language, Python preferred.
- Experience with AWS, solid understanding of data services offered and ability to recommend cost effective solutions in and out of the box
- Strong knowledge of various relational and non-relational database systems (Postgres, ElasticSearch, Redshift, MongoDB, etc), experience with structured and semi structured data.
- Experience with streams and event driven patterns is a plus.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.