At Urbint, our mission is to make communities more resilient. We do this by pairing external data with artificial intelligence to identify areas of high risk and prevent catastrophic loss for utilities and infrastructure operators across the country. We are a team of close-knit engineers, entrepreneurs, and data geeks who obsess over problem-solving, new technologies, and making a positive impact in our communities
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
At Urbint, the machine learning team does not work on making consumers spend more or work on maximizing clicks. That is all fine; we work on reducing carbon emissions, reducing infrastructure risk and avoiding fatalities. We find meaning and excitement solving these problems, and we hope you do, too.
We are looking for a Staff Data Scientist to join our high visibility, high impact Machine Learning team to help with this mission. Members of the Machine Learning team have the option to major/minor in areas from a large data science specialization spectrum: Technical Product Management, People Management, Data Story-Telling, Applied ML, ML Research, AutoML and MLOps. This is a great role for someone who enjoys variety and is also looking to expand their skill set in a structured fashion.
What You’ll Do
- You will major in ML Research, autoML and have the option to minor in any of the areas listed above.
- You will leverage or adapt existing research and derive new algorithms to solve atypical problems (use cases).
- You will provide technical leadership to the ML team.
- provide technical guidance for the team to formulate the research problem, design the experiment and narrow down the solution space.
- be the go-to person for in-depth questions on the underlying math behind different techniques and their applicability for a given problem.
- develop a roadmap on which technologies the team should invest in.
- Overall you will be responsible for developing state of the art solution frameworks for difficult to solve use cases.
Who You Are
- Minimum 6 years of experience as a Data Scientist.
- Note: If you have a background in Data Analytics, Data Engineering, or a Machine Learning Operationalization, we’d still love to hear from you and invite you to apply for roles more relevant to your background here: Urbint Careers Page
- Strong technical breadth and strong technical depth in at least two areas of machine learning (eg. Time Series, NLP, DL, Classical ML etc.).
- Experience solving concrete, real-world machine learning problems in a commercial setting.
- Passionate about delivering commercial/customer value through ML.
- Well-versed in Python.
Nice to Have
- PHD in a quantitative field preferred.
- Comfortable writing production ready code and Strong software design engineering experience.
- Experience with Startup, Product and/or Agile environments.
- Track record of creating excellent slack emojis and memes.
- Mission Driven – Some companies use AI to serve better digital ads and trade stocks, we seek to make our communities safer and more resilient
- We are 100% Distributed – work from almost anywhere
- Competitive compensation packages
- Your health and wellness matters to us, so we offer 100% employer-paid premium options and more…
- Physical Health: Monthly wellness reimbursement to assist with gym memberships and other related activities
- Home Office Reimbursement: Monthly allowance covering utilities (electric, internet) and related home office expenses
- Co-Working: Monthly allowance covering expenses for co-working space
- Professional Development: Generous annual allowance, supporting your growth
- Employee Meals: Weekly lunch allowance
Urbint’s Core Values
- Passionate about customers: We strive to deliver sustainable value and exceed expectations, and we’re not satisfied until our customers are raving fans.
- Be decisive: We make timely, informed, and pragmatic decisions to keep the organization moving forward.
- Build trust: Our values are the building blocks to trust. As we live them, we grow and build lasting relationships.
- Focus on impact: We measure and strive to continuously improve our real-world impact.
- Be tenacious: We are agile in our approach to addressing challenges but firm in our beliefs.
- Win together: We efficiently leverage our diverse skills and perspectives for one another, united by our shared vision.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status