Your work as a developer infrastructure engineer will ensure our engineering teams build, test, and deliver new product capabilities faster than ever while also improving quality. Your mission is to partner with our engineers to identify, prioritize, and provide impactful automation and efficiencies in our infrastructure as code, CI/CD pipelines, environments, and related tools. Your work will ensure we can continue to innovate at an accelerated pace to delight thousands of customers like Amplitude, Lyft, and Segment. Our customers use Appcues to improve their product’s adoption and growth by delivering beautiful in-app experiences such as onboarding guides, tips, announcements, and surveys to millions of end-users.
- We manage, monitor, and deploy code using CircleCI, Terraform, AWS CodeDeploy, CloudFormation, DataDog, ECS, EC2
- We store data in PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, S3, Redis, Snowflake and operate event streams using Kafka and SQS
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack, and are committed to remote, agile development.
About the role
- You will join the Foundations team, working with 4 other senior Engineers. You will be supported and coached by Nick Jordan, a Senior Engineering Manager on the team.
- Job one is to proactively help our teams build, test, and deploy faster by enhancing automation and tooling while maintaining and improving our quality. The engineering and product teams currently have about 53 people across six small teams.
- We will look to you for vision and guidance, making our build, test, and production environments and tooling more performant, reliable and repeatable. You will own our infrastructure as code strategy and partner with our platform team on CICD strategy.
- By collaborating with our engineers, you will learn what is working and identify improvements & priorities. Working with engineering stakeholders, you’ll design, develop, & roll out new tooling and automation.
- On a typical day, you may create or optimize a CI/CD pipeline, improve an internal tool, meet with a team to review their tooling/infrastructure needs, add test and healthcheck automation, implement actionable alerts, or unblock another engineer.
- You will implement & drive improvements to key metrics such as deployment frequency, lead time for changes, MTTR, and change failure rate.
- You have worked with larger engineering teams than Appcues, so you have a good sense of what the road ahead looks like and what we should be doing better.
- You are passionate about automating the mundane, repetitive and time-consuming to allow engineers to focus on their service capabilities, not infrastructure and deployments.
- You can comfortably work full-time with a minimum overlap with your team from 11am – 4pm Eastern Time. e.g. some team members work full-time from 6am-4pm ET, others 11am-7pm ET and some make up the difference in evenings. While we are a 100% remote-1st company and you can work from anywhere, we require the ability to collaborate with our team during these 5 core hours.
- You can demonstrate expert-level skills working with AWS and Linux and believe in a DevOps mindset. You are intimately familiar with current platform-as-a-service offerings.
- You have a strong engineering background and have done a little of everything. You’re a curious person that prefers to get stuff done rather than delegate.
- You are pragmatic, not dogmatic, and are aware of the strengths & weaknesses of your tools.
- You are comfortable influencing cross-team standards, practices, and tools by rolling up your sleeves and showing how things can be better. You can clearly describe the business implications of your technical decisions. You are excited to develop a vision & future roadmap of how we can improve.
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and helping them grow technically. You routinely become known as a go-to person in your company. You are an excellent communicator who can write and speak with empathy for your team.
- You are energized working in a highly collaborative and customer-driven startup that is remote-1st.
100% remote – We don’t have an office so all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won’t change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and, after COVID times, will get together twice a year for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being – You’ll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Fair pay – Each role has a defined salary band, bands and salaries are audited on a regular basis to help maintain fairness and market value
Home office and tech budget – Besides paying for your work computer (Mac or PC), we offer a one-time $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us – Home office not cutting it? We’ll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity – We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration – We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns., and an annual learning stipend.
Unlimited vacation – We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so we expect each employee to take a minimum of ten days of vacation per year. Employees based in the USA also take off all US federal holidays. Employees residing in other countries can choose to follow their local national holidays or US federal holidays.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.