At Stack Overflow, our mission is to empower the world’s developers. Every day, millions of developers come to us to get answers to their programming questions, collaborate better with their teams, and find their next dream job. As the world continues to transform with technology as a leading force, we’re driven to make Stack Overflow a place where everyone who codes feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Staff Developer is one of our highest levels of individual contributor on Stack Overflow’s engineering teams. You’ll be a thought leader, a high productivity engineer, and a role model for other developers on your team and beyond. As a leading voice on a cross-disciplinary, agile squad of designers, product managers, and other engineers, the contributions you’ll make to our most visible products will have a far-reaching impact and shape the future of the world’s largest community of developers. Some recent projects we’ve been working on include:
- Automating site elections to allow users to nominate, discuss, and vote for the volunteer moderators of over 150 Q&A communities that are part of the Stack Exchange network.
- Overhauling our question review system so both volunteer reviewers and question authors can get actionable feedback and automated assistance to improve question quality.
- Rolling out a home grown and open source rich text / markdown editor to improve question drafting and editing for the thousands of contributors who use it every day.
You’ll work primarily in our main tech stack of C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server, with supporting technologies like Redis, TypeScript, and Elasticsearch. If you’re not familiar with our specific tech stack, we’ll pair you with mentors who will help you bridge the gaps. As a company dedicated to increasing developer knowledge, we’ll give you the resources and support you need to develop mastery in your craft.
Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Extensive programming skills in your language of choice (not necessarily ours) and a track record of getting stuff done. You are adept at shipping high quality, well-tested code in a fast paced environment.
- 10+ years of full-stack web development experience with any major server-side stack, relational database, and modern front-end (JS, HTML, CSS). Experience in our stack is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Deep experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, or Kanban. You’ve been on teams that practice Agile and you understand why it’s beneficial for the team. Certification is a plus, but not a requirement.
- A track record of leading and mentoring less experienced developers. You are eager to teach others and invested in the growth of your team.
- Self-motivating, self-directing, and a great communicator (written and oral). You thrive in an environment that grants you a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions.
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- An active Stack Overflow profile, open source code, example projects that you’re proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog, podcasts, and other public artifacts. Ideas about how to evolve the platform and increase our impact on the developer community are even better.
- Experience with building high scale, community-based applications. Skills working with large amounts of data or utilizing machine intelligence are a plus.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team. We also believe in strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Great office w/ espresso bar, games, and free daily lunches
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our office in New York office, and enjoy additional benefits like all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this: We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.