Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Work at Etsy involves tackling unique problems alongside team members committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
This is a full-time role located in San Francisco, CA or Brooklyn, NY. Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19, and thus you will start/work remotely until it’s safe to return.
Etsy is looking for a senior technical program manager (TPM), specialized in data science and machine learning (DSML), who will report to the Chief Data Officer and work within Etsy’s centralized Data organization. They will drive the execution of the organization’s applied science effort and build Etsy’s next-generation browsing and shopping experience using Machine Learning technology. To learn more about Machine Learning and Applied Science at Etsy, check out https://dsml.etsy.com.
The ideal TPM candidate is a creative, demonstrated leader with excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. They are expected to have experience working with cross-functional teams and managing multiple partners, with the ability to influence leaders in other organizations and prioritize impactful and delivery-driven outcomes. The candidate should also be fully competent in a variety of project management tools, methodologies, and techniques for all phases of the project lifecycle. They should have demonstrated experience in core project management fields including scope, schedule, budget, resources, quality, and risk management, as well as reporting and metric development/tracking.
A successful candidate will also bring deep technical understanding in the fields of data science, machine learning, and engineering. In fact, candidates possessing a background in software engineering and applied science, who have transitioned to a program management discipline will have a distinct advantage! With these technical skills, the candidate is expected to work with scientists and machine learning engineers to accurately translate business requirements into machine learning solutions, and be responsible for the successful execution of product vision. They will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, rapidly delivering solutions with broad product and business impact!
What you will do:
- Drive technical strategy for ML teams that meet business and product needs
- Work across multiple teams to translate business requirements into ML solutions
- Work with scientists and engineers to be responsible for the timely execution of projects
- Drive cross-organizational initiatives, ensuring smooth collaboration and communication
- Use data and articulate rationale to influence others on difficult business trade-offs
Who you are:
- You have led applied science, machine learning, and/or data initiatives before. Previous engineering management or tech lead experience is a plus.
- You are comfortable diving into technical designs and machine learning algorithms.
- You are experienced at prioritizing contending demands, scoping large efforts, and negotiating timelines in cross-organizational settings.
- You have experience working independently to design, plan, and execute technical projects
- You work effectively with leaders in product, science, experimentation, and engineering.
- You are familiar with trending and state-of-the-art technology in machine learning.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a technical subject area (computer science or engineering preferred)
- 3+ years of Program Management experience in large, cross-organizational settings
- Experience managing software or application development efforts. (Experience in driving data science and machine learning programs is preferred)
- Experience working across multiple technical, cross-functional teams
- Experience designing technical solutions – technical breadth and depth including back-end services and machine learning applications
- Ability to work autonomously in an ambiguous environment, with attention to detail and organizational skills to navigate.
- Demonstrated communicating and writing skills at a level suitable for presentation to executives.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.