You possess strong software engineering and Java development fundamentals. You are unafraid to dig into unknown codebases to unravel unexpected behaviors. You value reliability, testability, and maintainability. You’re proud of the code you write, but you’re also pragmatic and believe in iteration. You know when it is time to refactor, and when it’s time to ship.
About the Position
The job of a Staff Engineer at Airship is to focus on designing systems for scale and reliability while thinking about the future of Airship’s stack and product direction. We provide low latency services that process a stream of events from both apps/web/mobile wallet/email/sms and internal services. We also support large analytical workloads, querying across billions of events and Terabytes of data.
- Our backend infrastructure is built on the Google Cloud Platform.
- Our backend infrastructure is primarily Java.
- Our platform uses microservices that talk to SQL and NoSQL databases and handle an immense load.
- You’ll be involved in schema design, ownership of data semantics, and a lot of squinting at server metrics trying to puzzle out why database write latency spiked in the 99th percentile and moved the emphasis in “near-real-time” from “real” to “near.”
- Interfacing with product teams to ensure correct design and implementation.
We have remote employees in engineering spread over many cities in the US and encourage people outside of Portland to apply. Quarterly travel to our home office in Portland, OR is preferred but negotiable.
Experience and Skills
- Strong experience with distributed systems
- Experience leading a release/project, working with and guiding a team of talented engineers
- Experience in collaborating with cross-functional peers and take a project from requirements to design to implementation meeting relevant milestones
- Experience defining standards on how product features and services are built by multiple teams is a plus
- Willingness to work as part of a team to achieve shared commitments
- Calmly work in a fast-paced environment to ensure continuous delivery
- Experience providing structured mentorship and guidance for less experienced engineers, helping them break tasks down, providing thoughtful code reviews, and taking responsibility for the growth of the engineers on your team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Solid fundamentals with Linux
Marketing and digital experience teams at thousands of the world’s most admired companies
rely on Airship’s Customer Engagement Platform to create deeper connections with customers by delivering incredibly relevant, orchestrated messages on any channel.
Founded in 2009 as a pioneer in push notifications, Airship now gives brands the user-level data, engagement channels, AI orchestration and services they need to deliver push notifications, emails, SMS, in-app messages, mobile wallet cards and more to exactly the right person in exactly the right moment — building trust, boosting engagement, driving action and growing value.