Nav is democratizing small business financing. In other words, we give small business owners access and control. Yes, this challenges the norm, but it means working with curious, purpose driven, dedicated, and inquisitively smart people who push themselves, our company and the community to the next level (and every level after that). We are the people behind the tech. And when it’s good, we look for better. We don’t over think the value we bring nor spend time trying to revamp mantras. We also do not come up with some crafty way to tell you who we are and what we offer. We are Nav! Here, you’ll gain a wealth of experience, learn the tricks of the trade, and work with winners. All companies say people are connected to their mission but in our case our mission and our people are one – it is a way of being not just a cause you are committed to. And since 2013, Nav has holistically and organically developed its own ideology because Nav can only be Nav.
Nav is searching for an experienced Platform Services Engineer who has been involved in designing, architecturing and implementing Cloud Service IaaS, PaaS, FaaS, SaaS. Is capable of leading infrastructure engagements, creating CI/CD pipelines and dashboards, developing a comprehensive and robust Disaster Recovery plan including backup, deploying highly scalable, fault-tolerant, available, secure and resilient infrastructure. Someone who also is experienced with microservices and distributed applications, relational database technologies, load balancing applications, automated applications deployment and infrastructure provisioning.
WHAT WE EMPOWER YOU WITH:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining scalable, reusable code and operations infrastructure.
- Maintaining and cultivating the infrastructure and toolset for multiple development and production environments.
- Defining, creating and contributing to a range of tools used by Nav employees.
- Active participation on a diverse set of topics relating to business and or the engineering team.
- Participating in Nav’s agile process within Jira.
- Being an effective communicator, having a positive attitude,
- Identification of solutions, communication and alignment with engineering and stakeholders.
- Performing as a coach and mentor to your team, and the organization as a whole.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Experience with or Exposure to DevOps Culture, Practices, Methodology/Principles & Tools, Agile SDLC and Project Management, and ITIL Best Practices.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, able to understand business and client requirements and an ability to articulate solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences. Able to resolve support and infrastructure deployment issues with software by tracing the problems through the system and identifying the root cause.
- Support OnCall 24×7 rotation for any critical Production outages.
- Experience with system administration, scripting language, web-servers, database administration, containers and orchestrators, CI/CD solutions, system and application performance monitoring, centralized logging, system architecture, Unix/Linux, authorization, networking, security, reusable code, and engaging appropriate teams for support.
- Capable of managing, monitoring and automating operations of a highly available and scalable cloud infrastructure, performing in-depth performance tuning, configuring alerting activities as well as hardware troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Able to drive automation efforts to eliminate manual work involved in building infrastructure, performing releases, and other operational work, and build common utilities to drive operational efficiency with technology and solutions.
- Capable of interpreting requirements and specifications, implementing solutions, ensuring the correct solution versions are deployed and functioning correctly in the production environment and correcting problems discovered at any point during software development life cycle in a timely fashion.
- Experienced in designing and implementing a multi layered approach to Cloud Cost Savings beyond Compute Savings Program and Reserved and Spot Instances.
- Experienced evaluating new tools, techniques, and strategies. Strong interest and/or experience in AI/ML, DevSecOps, SRE, and Observability, and is knowledgeable about the latest industry trends, and is innovative.
- Someone who learns fast and can figure things out independently, and can show us a better way of managing, monitoring and continuously deploying complex systems and has implementation experience in large infrastructure projects that involve multiple cross-functional stakeholders.
- High level of proficiency in the following Tech:
- Linux, preferably Ubuntu.
- Managing and optimizing databases, preferably Postgres.
- Scripting experience preferably with Bash and Python.
- AWS Cloud Infrastructure and Services: EC2, VPC, EKS, Security Groups, SAM, S3, RDS, Route53, ELB, etc.
- Networking technologies such as DNS, Load Balancing, SSL, TCP/IP, HTTP, CDN, WAF, FW/VPN, Switches, and Routers and Routing.
- Setup and administration of monitoring, observability, and centralized log aggregation solutions.
- Automation, Build and SCM/Configuration Management solutions and tools and their configuration, preferably Ansible, Gitlab and an understanding and ability to create CI/CD workflows for software projects.
- Secrets management, encryption as a service, centralized authentication, access control and SSO and tooling configuration.
- Containerization, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, and Microservices Architecture.
- Ticketing and Documentation – Jira and Confluence.
- Troubleshooting skills – Capable of unclogging the CI/CD Pipeline.
- Good understanding/working knowledge of DevOps practices and principles.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication, organization and time management skills to ensure success.
- Must be able to work independently or in a team setting interacting well with others.
- Must be capable of working under tight time constraints in a high volume environment with multiple priorities. Ability to prioritize many competing tasks and deal effectively with conflict.
- Must be able to comply with all company policies, rules, procedures and Code of Conduct.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in Platform Services/DevOps Engineering role.
- Bachelor’s degree in related technical discipline with similar IT Certification(s) such as the following:
- ITIL Foundation, Network +, CCNA, Security +, AWS Solution Architect – Associate, Kubernetes Administrator, and/or Terraform Associate.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You are self directed and passionate driving solutions
- You are a relentless problem solver
- You are eager to learn and adapt quickly to change
- You’re an engaged team member with the ability to grow, mentor and challenge your peers to do their best work every day.
- You’re known for crossing the boundaries of your function to meet company goals.
- You care about the people you work with but challenge them directly when necessary.
- You are comfortable delivering feedback and coaching up, down and to the side.
- You are customer (including internal customers) focused.
INCLUSION AT NAV:
At Nav, we celebrate what makes our employees unique because the businesses we serve are progressively diverse and distinctly original. Navericks are diverse, side hustlers, immigrants, veterans, queer, and we push generational boundaries. We are college dropouts, PhDs, special needs parents, allies, pet owners and community leaders. Navericks are human. We are committed to upholding a safe, supportive environment where everyone matters. We are committed to making a better future for all of us. We have created a workplace where people of all backgrounds can express their identities authentically. To put it simply we want you to be proud to be you.
OUR COMPENSATION PHILOSOPHY IS SIMPLE BUT POWERFUL.
We believe great, enduring relationships are grounded in trust and transparency. Compensation shouldn’t be a distraction, and employees should understand how pay and career advancement decisions are made. Providing equal pay for equal work is table stakes for being a great place to work. Gender and ethnic inequity should only be something that our children read about in history books. We believe providing Navsters with company ownership, competitive pay, and a range of meaningful benefits is the start of creating a culture where people want to give the best they’ve got — not because they’re simply making money, but because they’ve fallen in love with our vision, mission, values, and team.
OUR IMPACT ON YOU:
Competitive Pay. Company Ownership. Unlimited Vacation. Benefits Day One. 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave. Work From Anywhere (yes we were distributed before it was cool). Flexible Work Arrangements. Free Telehealth and Telemental Health For All Employees. Employee Networking and Events. Community Network Groups (women’s, PRIDE, culture). Meaningful Perks and Rewards. Learning and Development Opportunities.
A NAVERICK’S DNA:
- We look at the future and say “why not”; we see possibilities where others see problems or routines. We show the way ahead and are committed to achieving ambitious goals.
- We practice straight talk and listen generously to each other with empathy. We value different opinions and point of views. We ensure that we connect outside as well as inside to learn from others and inspire each other.
- We hold ourselves accountable for delivering results. We choose to not to be a victim of circumstance. We make decisions & take responsibility so that we can act & support each other, rather than adopting defensive, and “finger pointing” behaviors.
- As leaders we motivate & engage our teams to undertake beyond what they originally thought possible, by developing our teams & creating the conditions for people to grow and empower themselves through enabling & coaching.