MO helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help build the engineering team at MO. You will work on a cross-functional team to deliver digital services used by American Veterans, their families, and their caregivers. You’ll help set high standards for engineering in terms of simplicity, scalability, design, empathy, and accessibility.
The Staff Software Engineer role will be responsible for developing end to end systems for the Dept of Veterans Affairs. The goal is to improve and simplify the way Veterans access their benefits, while making the process more secure and seamless with other government agencies. You will be involved in all aspects of projects, from strategy, planning, design, implementation, and support.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and partners to define, design, and ship new systems and features
- Lead technical roadmap and architecture planning
- Lead other engineers and set standards for clean, maintainable, and efficient code
- Conduct design and code reviews to ensure the quality of the codebase
- Troubleshoot and debug complex software issues
- Participate in the hiring process (for example: submitting referrals, conducting interviews, improving hiring practices)
What We’re Looking For
- An experienced engineering professional who has led delivery for one or more digital web products at scale on cloud platforms
- Ability to prioritize, define, architect, and oversee work across the engineering team to ensure high quality while meeting our deadline goals
- Can think strategically about trade-offs and make recommendations about short term vs. long term goals
- Design and implement complex software, scope projects, and lead productive code and design reviews
- Work with product and design teams to understand user requirements and use cases
- Experience with technologies such as Ruby on Rails, Node, APIs, AWS, and relational databases
- Experience with accessibility, privacy, security, and writing software that handles PII
- Ability to lead and mentor more junior engineers with empathy and support for their skills growth
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
MO’s Employee Value Proposition
- A fun, dynamic working environment with an energetic and diverse team
- A REMOTE first work environment
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for career growth
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K plan
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability in addition to Life Insurance (company sponsored)
All MO leaders are expected to lead with humility, embody our core values in their leadership, and to hold their team accountable to the same. MO leaders are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic, and learning from others.
The starting pay range for this role is $160,000 – $190,000. In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, MO’s job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we’ve outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility.
MO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have more experience beyond what is detailed here, we’d be happy to take a look. If you meet most but not all of the requirements, we still want to hear from you.
This application will remain open until filled.