- The stack: Postgres, Node.js/Express.js, React. Currently running on Heroku, eventually AWS
- The product: We’re building the first subscription intelligence platform that empowers finance teams to get real-time snapshots of how their subscription business is performing!
- You’d be one of the first six engineers on the team! On Backend, you’ll work on database design and implementation, complex data management problems, API design and implementation, writing tests. On Frontend, you’ll be building features in our react app, HTML/CSS + styled components, building amazing user experiences, writing tests.
The way we work:
- This is a remote job – work anywhere you want, and in any timezone on earth (or outside earth, whatever).
- We are an asynchronous team – we don’t do scheduled meetings, and rely on each team member to pick their own schedule and to communicate clearly in writing and with recorded videos.
- We operate collaboratively and completely autonomously – no one will tell you what to do, we’ll just tell you the goals and you will figure out how to work towards them with the rest of the team.
- We have a culture of ownership and empowerment! Every member on our team works on building and iterating on our product, collaborating with designers and founders, and also engaging with customers (if that’s something that interests you) to make a product that users will love.
Our interview process:
Our interview process is designed to focus on your skills as a software engineer, and your ability to communicate clearly. We’re a fully asynchronous company, so that’s how we will communicate in this interview process too 🙂.
- We’ll ask you to work on a small code challenge
- After reviewing the short code challenge, we’ll ask you to work on a ~90 minute exercise while recording a loom (or other screen recording) video.
- If the video interview above goes well, we’ll want to learn a bit more about how you communicate in writing – we will ask you to put together a technical design document. This is one of the biggest ways we communicate at Subscript, so we want to see that you can work well with that!
And finally, hopefully we’ll send you an offer. And hopefully you’ll accept!
- You’re an excellent engineer (you write high quality code, you write great tests, you ship quickly)
- You’re a great communicator via writing, and via recorded videos.
- You’re excited about working on a globally-distributed and diverse team, in an incredibly unique culture where autonomy, accountability, and ownership are equally as valued as your skillset.
- That’s it!
- Unlimited vacation
- Completely flexible work schedule – work literally anytime (and anywhere) you want!
- Benefits appropriate to your location (health/dental/vision in the USA)
- Company wide retreats multiple times per year
- Like all start-ups we’re scrappy, but not scrappy on compensation: Subscript is committed to paying our awesome team members at market-rate, including benefits.