We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 10000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What’s the Bench Tax team like?
With Bench Tax we allow our clients to ditch the tax season stress, forever. We’re a startup within a startup; a small but mighty team working cross-functionally within Bench as well as working closely with our tax filing partner, Taxfyle.
What you’ll be getting up to:
At the core of everything we do is our clients. As a Tax Advisor with Bench Tax, you will obsess over achieving positive tax outcomes for your portfolio of clients. Whether that’s providing your clients with a customized tax plan, helping them overcome difficult tax situations, or reviewing a tax return together.
- Schedules and delivers ongoing tax planning sessions with a portfolio of clients, including checking in with them prior to tax season to ensure the outcomes of the tax plan have been met or adjusting if necessary
- Ensures that each client is prepared for tax season and takes actions on areas where they can optimize their tax returns
- Ensure the outcomes of your advisory are being met through working directly with our tax partner, Taxfyle, as well as the respective teams within Bench
- Supporting clients, or Benchmates, to overcome a wide range of tax questions and situations, including resolving issues at the IRS or State Department of Revenue level
- Maintains accurate client records to ensure the Bench teams understand all outcomes of any tax advisory provided to our clients
Take a Stand
Bench Tax is transforming the tax industry by creating a service that prioritizes the success of our clients over anything else. As a Tax Advisor within the Bench Tax team, you are fired up to fundamentally change the lives of our clients through the positive outcomes our team can create. We embrace every setback, conversation, experience, and success as a means of making your stand happen.
- Be accountable to deliver on the Bench Tax Team’s quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Participate in the ideation and systematic improvement process that contribute to us building better systems, tools and processes to deliver superior results for our clients and fellow Benchmates
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Own the tax advisory outcomes of clients: Be able to deliver Bench’s tax advisory service through the following:
- +2 years of applicable experience preparing and reviewing tax returns for individuals and all business entity types, either prepared by themselves or members of their team
- Licensed as an active Enrolled Agent. Licence is current, active and in good standing
- Active and up to date PTIN
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Committed to maintaining annual continuing education requirements (CPEs)
- Staying up to date with changes in the US Tax Code (and tax laws of other state/local municipalities)
- All About Continuous Improvement: Has demonstrable experience continuously improving processes, workflows, and performance visualizations to enhance client outcomes. Participate with the Bench Tax Teams to continuously improve the overall service delivery in the pursuit of being completely obsessed with positive client outcomes. At minimum is comfortable working in a space where iterative improvements to enhance our client’s experience is paramount.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Cloud Based Tax Solution Experience: You have prior experience working in a cloud based tax solution, and understand how to get the best of your clients in this environment.
- Accounting knowledge: At times you may be required to explain to clients how their tax return is being impacted by their financial statements, so it would be good have:
- +2 years of accounting experience
- And/or undergraduate degree in accounting
Extra bonus points for:
- Mentorship & Training: Has experience with ongoing mentorship and training, to a broad range of people with varying experiences, in the space of US tax. Is fully dedicated to leveling up the Bench Tax team to ensure we have all of the latest information related to the tax services we’re providing to our clients. Can step into a supporting role where broad tax training is delivered to all client facing Benchmates.
- Strategically Minded: We’re here to build a world class tax advisory and compliance service for micro-small businesses in the US. In order to do so, this individual must be able to step into the space where they’ll act as a voice for new opportunities to strategically improve our service offerings, whether that’s breadth or depth of the services.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $62,820 – $69,800. Stock options will also be a part of the total compensation package.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.