Are you passionate about development, architectural design, and building world class mobile applications? Are you an expert in mobile application architecture and have delivered production-quality mobile applications? Does the idea of working on a greenfield project and guiding a company through a new mobile tech stack excite you? Do you understand the importance of building hybrid Android and iOS applications? For you, it’s not just about making things pretty, but also about making them useful and meaningful. You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As the Technical Architect, Mobile Development, you will propose technology choices and create the architecture for a new mobile application. You will work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers, and the Engineering Team to help translate business requirements and specifications into delivered features for the mobile application. As a senior member of the team, you will delegate tasks, and ensure that best practices for software development and testing are being followed. You will be a mentor, and help empower and grow Thinkers on the Mobile Product Team!
In this role, you will:
- Lead the architectural design and guide development of agreed-upon, production-quality mobile application
- Conduct technology research, and propose a technical approach (frameworks, technology stack) that sets us up for success for our mobile application. You will bring fresh ideas and need to get buy-in from internal stakeholders, through technology and architectural reviews.
- Participate in our agile development process to design and implement features in collaboration with internal, as well as external developers
- Assist in effectively diagnosing and troubleshooting problems within the platform
- Participate in effort and complexity estimation for proposed product features and tasks
- Lead medium-large feature projects from conception to completion, working with stakeholders to identify project risks and recommend mitigating solutions
- Mentor other developers and perform code reviews in a distributed environment
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience in building hybrid Android and iOS mobile applications that make use of RESTful services, from inception to launch
- Be an expert in building mobile apps using the Flutter mobile framework or native mobile development.
- Be fanatical about writing tests as a part of a feature, and the overall development process
- Be familiar with using relational databases, SQL and engines like PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Be a smart, and strategic decision-maker (you think through problems, and make strategic choices based on the best outcome, not just the easy outcome)
- Have acted as a mentor to other developers in the past and are comfortable with leading projects
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Shipped one or more public facing, production-quality mobile apps from start to finish in a Lead role
- Worked with an external development team, and are also comfortable working with distributed teams
- Have worked with Ruby on Rails applications in a production environment
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of modern server-side programming languages (Ruby, Python, Node, etc.)
- Are experienced with web application architecture and web server technologies like Apache, Nginx, ISS, etc.
Bonus points if you:
- Are an expert in Flutter and have shipped multiple apps using this framework
- Are familiar with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Are experienced with CSS processors, such as PostCSS, Sass, or Less
- Have advanced knowledge of and experience in data modeling
- Are very familiar with cloud-based server infrastructure, particularly AWS
- Have worked for a SaaS company
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and mental health coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Whether you’re at our Vancouver HQ or working from home, you’ll have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with Thinkers on your team and across the company through team-wide events, meet and greets with new team members, and regular social events
- Have fun with our team, even while we’re working remotely—join us for an online games session, virtual trivia and paint nights, at-home fitness challenges, or even an online coffee brewing demo!
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most, whether that’s subsidizing your gym membership, covering out-of-pocket expenses, or getting new gear
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Meet the many @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Get set up for success, whether that’s at the office or at home. Whether you need a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard, mouse, or even a desk, we’ll work to ensure you have what you need to do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Here at Thinkific, we know that the different perspectives on our team have led to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. Our team welcomes applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!