BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Technical Lead – Data to join our growing Data team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will evolve our data models, operationalize production-grade data pipelines, and contribute to our document mining/information retrieval initiatives as we expand our ability to extract valuable insights from scientific publications and databases.
You will get to lead specific data projects that directly contribute to our client’s understanding of drug discovery research. This is a fit for you if you excel at pulling meaningful insights from data, love making an impact and want to share your technical creativity and expertise with the folks around you. The technical lead role is a unique expansion of the scope of a Senior Data engineer that takes on multiple facets of technical leadership, team building, and defining our technical roadmap.
- Scale data pipelines to allow our data to go from research to platform quickly and reliably
- Manage sources that contain both semi-structured and unstructured data
- Collaborate with ML, Data engineers and Science to solve complex document mining challenges, helping us capture and model additional scientific experiments
- Use your experience to help define and apply best practices for a broad platform of technologies in a cloud-based environment
- Lead or consult the authoring of engineering design proposals following the unified Platform Stream roadmap at BenchSci
- Lead sprint planning, estimations, and code + design reviews
- Partner with the Engineering Manager and other Tech Leads to recruit and build the team
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer in cloud and data.
- Expertise with Python and SQL
- Experience with data processing engines (we use Beam)
- Experience with cloud (we use GCP) including reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A strong background in data structures and large-scale data manipulation
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Experience leading teams and software delivery
- Proficient with agile processes (sprint planning, estimation)
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Work or academic experience in the life sciences
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code
- Experience working with mono repositories
- Comfortable working in a startup environment