ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a particular time-zone preference for this role.
This job is an IC4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
Why this job is exciting
We are looking for our inaugural Technical Program Manager to partner with engineering, product, and design leaders to drive execution of cross-functional projects. This is a greenfield role, so you’ll have the ability to build best practices and see your vision come to life. If you love to move quickly and iteratively and see programs through from inception to completion while ensuring timely, high quality delivery, this role is for you.
Within one month, you will…
- Understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Identify areas for improvement in existing processes, and design and build processes where there are gaps.
Within three months, you will…
- Partner with engineering leaders to drive delivery for key initiatives and cross-functional projects.
- Drive all aspects of program management and own executing on these projects.
- Effectively communicate to ensure timelines, objectives, and expectations are clearly set.
- Ensure stakeholder alignment with set goals, and proactively identify and address risks and blockers.
Within six months, you will…
- Be seen as a critical partner to key stakeholders.
- Become the authority on operational best practices and project completion.
Within one year, you will…
- Have driven and delivered measurable results across the organization.
- Have built scalable operational best practices and evangelize those processes across Sourcegraph.
You are obsessed with running efficient processes and have a bias towards action. You have a knack for juggling competing priorities and driving continuous improvement. You love bringing people together to make forward progress when people are stuck. You celebrate getting everyone past the finish line. You’re excited to have tremendous visibility and perspective into the operation of engineering and the whole business, and take the responsibility of being the single POC for these projects very seriously. Bottom line: you get stuff done.
- You have 8+ years of program management experience with a highly complex technical product
- You have prior experience in a fast-paced tech company or in devtools
- You have a deep technical expertise
- You are skilled at communicating with cross-functional departments and stakeholders.
- Organizational skills are your superpower
- Your personal leadership shines through your work and you’re able to bring projects forward when there are operational bottlenecks
- You exhibit critical thinking to navigate through ambiguity
- You are self-motivated and proactive and strive for operational excellence.
- You can turn a vague problem into a detailed solution.
- You are highly skilled at asynchronous communication and documentation.
- You have the ability to translate highly complex technical concepts into clear, concise communications
- Prior experience in development
Nice to haves:
- Experience working remotely with stakeholders in different timezones
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- Asynchronous writing exercise
- [60m] Assignment review
- [60m] Cross-functional Team Collaboration Interview
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.