Posit creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions. We develop open source and enterprise-ready solutions for R and Python, that enable flexible, robust, and reproducible data analysis through coding, paired with tools that make it easy to effectively share insights. We are seeking to hire a Technical Support Engineer to join a creative and collaborative team of humble, talented support engineers from a variety of backgrounds.
This is a technical role, in which you will use your experience working with or administering Linux servers to find solutions for particularly challenging customer issues. The role might be described as a “forensic systems administrator” job since we spend a significant amount of time troubleshooting customers’ infrastructures remotely. There are also strong problem-solving aspects to this position, with ample opportunities to learn new skills and to share your own abilities with the team.
This role is entirely remote and can be located anywhere in the United Kingdom, working your local business hours after the initial onboarding. You will work with customers and colleagues via email and web calls, contributing materially to the success of our customers based in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. While the team is based largely in North America, we are structured to welcome and support colleagues around the world. You will be a full member of the team, participating equally in team decisions, process design, training sessions, ticket collaborations, asynchronous conversations, and all other team functions.
You will own:
- Customer support interactions from start to finish, acting as the face of Posit.
- Creating knowledge base articles, documenting common problem solutions and or known issues.
- Troubleshooting complex issues with Posit products running on customers’ own Linux environments.
- Communicating product improvements or bug reports to the engineering teams based on customer feedback.
- Working closely with other Posit teams to provide the best overall customer experience possible.
You will help with:
- Influencing processes and products to drive exceptional customer experience.
- Providing feedback on products and documentation.
- Collaborating with other support engineers to assist with complex customer issues.
You will teach the team:
- Areas of your expertise in technical support and customer interactions, based on your unique experiences and career history.
You will learn:
- How Posit products work to assist data science teams (from tiny to huge) to deliver value in their own companies.
- How to provide high-quality customer service in a global support environment for customers with differing expertise.
Within one month, you will…
- Meet our Support team
- Follow our onboarding process and contribute improvements to it
- Set up access to tools needed to best perform your training activities
- Start building test servers to familiarize yourself with our products
Within three months, you will…
- Meet our support partners in the Customer Success and Solutions Engineering organizations as well as in Product Engineering
- Be trained on Posit products
- Answer tickets with some supervision
- Be familiar with support escalation procedures
- Be familiar with our ticketing system and support processes
- Identify and communicate potential product improvements based on customer feedback
Within six months, you will…
- Answer tickets with no supervision
- Create Knowledge base articles
- Be comfortable working in a global support team setting
- Analyze and troubleshoot complex problems to find root causes, and communicate steps to reproduce to the engineering team if a solution is not readily available
- Join customer calls as backup or lead
Within a year, you will…
- Be confident working tickets related to any Posit product
- Have a high-level understanding of product offerings and supported infrastructures
- Provide feedback on formal documentation
- Help other engineers when needed
- Identify and contribute to process optimizations
- Participate in cross-team projects
What you bring:
- Technical support experience
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Linux understanding on an intermediate level
- Continuous learning desire
- Customer experience understanding and focus
- Ability to work independently
- Proven communication skills in writing and on calls
- Extensive experience working collaboratively within your team and across teams to solve challenging problems
What you won’t need on day 1:
- Experience in data science
- Experience in Posit products
- R or Python knowledge
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community’s interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional $125/month to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we’d still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.