Quick Take: Axios is a thriving, fast-growing media organization dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a Technology Editor to help oversee our technology vertical.
Why it Matters: Axios has built a newsroom of more than 150 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. This journalist will work with the Technology Managing Editor to guide Axios’ coverage of technology and specifically to oversee our daily Login newsletter. Our production cycle means this editor will need to be based in the Pacific time zone.
Go deeper: The Technology Editor will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee daily coverage of technology news and manage the Login newsletter
- Conceive larger data-driven and analytical stories putting this fast-changing world into context for readers
- Spot emerging trends in hardware and software products, digital culture and social media, and the collision between Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C. and transform them into story concepts and ideas that our team of reporters can execute
- Work closely with Axios editors on other topics like business and politics to help cover stories that cross beats
- In addition to editing, this person will be able to:
- Report and write stories
- Work with Axios’ Newsdesk to ensure comprehensive coverage of the day’s news
- Manage a team of 3-5 journalists
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Strong knowledge of the technology beat and hunger to excel in covering it
- Extensive experience editing technology news
- Experience working across teams to produce quality content
- Ability to assign and manage multiple stories at once
- Ability to juggle editing and writing stories
- Positive attitude, collaborative enthusiasm and ability to thrive in high-pressure news environment
- A commitment to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive environment
- A belief in Smart Brevity as the core writing style of Axios
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Salary Range: Base salary for this role is in the range of $120,000-$140,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.