Upswing is a mission-driven company that partners with colleges and universities to improve nontraditional student outcomes. Over 28% of students using Upswing are working while in college, and 43% are Hispanic or Black, and many are first-generation students. Our platform doesn’t cost students a thing; the school enlists our help to support their students. We’re looking for individuals who care about education and equality of student resources to come join our team!
We’re currently partnered with more than 70 colleges throughout the country, where Upswing helps over 700,000 students succeed throughout college. You’ll get to work with a team of motivated, intelligent, and fun people at Upswing – all working toward the same mission of student success and retention.
Recently, Upswing was honored by being featured on Fortune’s Impact 20 list of young companies “making people’s lives better.” We’re backed by organizations like Lumina Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Strada Education, and Stanford University.
About the Role
We are currently looking for a talented Head of Engineering to join Upswing! In order to better serve our community, we are looking for an exceptional leader to help us grow and lead our growing engineering team as a fellow engineer, mentor and manager. As the Head of Engineering at Upswing, you will work closely with our COO and Chief Architect to set the roadmap and goals for the engineering team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Interface closely with product management, machine learning, QA, and sales teams to build roadmap in supporting the long term vision of the team
- Help the team prioritize, develop, and ship the most impactful features of current and future Upswing products
- Manage a growing team of software engineers as well as offshore tech teams
- Drive the execution of the company’s long term vision and goals
- Collaborate with the development and product teams to help refine and implement UI that delivers the highest quality user experience
- Present your work to peers and senior leaders for review and feedback, participating in regular code reviews and iteration meetings
- Manage project timelines and delivery dates while ensuring proper allocation of resources and budgets within the team
- Coach and mentor software developers to help them realize their potential
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in computer science, related field, or equivalent years of work experience
8+ years of direct hands on full stack development experience
- Experience in distributed systems and large scale application development a plus
- Previous experience managing engineering teams and/or technical teams
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of front-end technologies and platforms, back-end programming languages, and database management skills
- Experience working cross functionally with technical and non-technical teams
- An ability to translate complicated concepts with many moving parts into a coherent architecture to produce clean, efficient, readable, and maintainable code.
- Experience leading teams using the Agile development methodology, including daily scrum meetings, tech estimations, retrospectives, backlog grooming, etc.
- Experience developing in mobile in addition to web applications
- Working knowledge of WebRTC and other browser streaming technologies.
- Knowledge of technical integrations using SAML, LDAP, and OAuth frameworks.
- Higher education and/or edtech experience.
- Experience working in a high growth environment
Upswing Benefits and Perks
- Competitive Salary + Options
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k program with company match
- Unlimited PTO and flexible working hours
- Annual Wellness, WFH, and professional development stipends
- Fully remote organization
- Two in-person kickoff events annually
- Mission-driven, passionate coworkers with an awesome remote team culture