We’re looking for a VFX Artist to join our team, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
At Hypixel Studios we are looking for applicants that are demonstrably passionate about their hobbies, have the drive and commitment to deliver results with minimal supervision, have international-level professional competency in their skill sets, and can demonstrate involvement with other interesting projects throughout their lives.
An ideal candidate will have experience creating VFX for all aspects of the game, from ambient environmental effects to specific spellcasting and combat effects, and understands how VFX can communicate gameplay mechanics, objectives, and environmental cues to the player.
As a VFX Artist on the Hytale team, you will collaborate across disciplines to design and deliver dynamic effects that bring our experiences to life. You will also use your experience to empower our creators to push the limits of their creativity.
Who you are:
- You understand and can articulate sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth while giving our players a deeper connection to gameplay
- You are a problem solver, driven to discover unique solutions that benefit our players, creators, and team
- You are an excellent communicator: you love collaborating with other artists and designers, iterating on feedback, and sharing knowledge with other team members
- You’re a positive, proactive problem-solver and help lead by example while contributing to the studio culture with the actions you take on the team
Some of your role:
- Work with the Art Director to develop visual effects that immerse our players and brings our experiences to life
- Create VFX assets, from the concept stage through integration in-game using our in-house engine
- Work closely with Game/Level Design, Animation, and other creative disciplines to ensure VFX and art support our diverse game experiences
- Find creative solutions to difficult problems in production and contribute to improvements to pipelines, processes and techniques
- A portfolio and/or demo reel demonstrating your VFX work
- 3+ years of experience creating real-time visual effects for games, with at least one shipped title as a key contributor for VFX
- Ability to work in a cartoon style, creating hand-drawn 2D flipbooks and textures, as well as a strong understanding of technical considerations for VFX
- Advanced knowledge of real-time particle and VFX editors such as Unreal and/or Unity, with a capacity and desire to learn new tools
- Effective communication and collaboration skills across disciplines
- Experience shipping titles across multiple platforms (PC/Console/Mobile)
- Traditional art skills – Illustration, Sculpture, Painting and Anatomy
- Experience in 3D Modeling, Sculpting, Texturing, Animation
- Good understanding of shader creation is a big plus
- Knowledge in Technical Art and 3D rendering principles
We can offer:
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team.
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally.
- A stable and secure work environment.
- The ability to work remotely.