What We’re Looking For:
The VP of Engineering will be an active member of the Technology Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the future direction of 2U’s overall technology strategy. The successful candidate will lead efforts in technology innovation in support of 2U’s Marketplace team to provide a best-in-class end-to-end learner experience.
Taking an active, innovative, and practical approach, the VP of Engineering will work closely with the EVP, Head of Marketplace Product, the EVP, Head of Engineering, the Marketplace product and technology teams, and other technology-focused leadership to achieve and execute the strategic goals of the organization.
Our ideal leader is a systems thinking with a notable background in successfully leading Engineering teams. The individual will align with 2U’s mission and demonstrate our core values in all interactions and activities.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- In partnership with Marketplace Product leadership define technology, vision, strategy, architecture and roadmap that meets learner needs and is continuously aligned to and enables product strategy.
- Ensure the appropriate allocation of resources to value oriented business objectives with a healthy relationship to Conway’s Law so that our software and organization boundaries are aligned.
- Ensure business objectives and goals are fully understood, iterated, solutioned and executed by Marketplace Technology and that objectives are met according to expectations, on time, on quality and on budget.
- Establish and cultivate an Engineering culture and practice optimized for fast flow with a focus on continuous improvement, data driven decisions, best practices, deliberate design decisions, and on Agile principles that will ensure success for 2U now and in the future.
- Collaborate with other VP Engineering leaders to adjust and align the platform architecture.
- Collaborate with leadership to successfully manage large-scale projects.
- Partner with Marketplace Technology leadership team to build, hire and coach first-class talent and to give them the tools and experiences to be successful.
- Serve as an internal change agent to drive process enhancements and innovation, without introducing bureaucracy to 2U’s highly entrepreneurial and fluid environment.
- Make strong, confident, outside-the-box decisions that affect the future of 2U technology and the business as a whole.
- Clarify and optimize Business and Technical Product Value Chain.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 8+ years of leadership experience in an environment with robust technical products and constant innovation
- Excellent business judgment, communicative, and interpersonal skills that result in the ability to work effectively with leadership, teams and external clients
- A willingness to create, identify and leverage cutting-edge technologies at an enterprise level
- Proven ability to partner in the creation of a product vision and solution and execute on it
- Ability to discern in a buy vs. build situation
- Demonstrable Process Management experience in an SDLC environment of continual change
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, Engineering or a related major or equivalent work experience
- A deep knowledge of Agile and its many flavors especially Kanban/Lean Agile, Continuous Integration, Pair Programming and TDD
- Knowledge of A/B Testing and Conversion rate optimization
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Experience delivering paid and organic marketing, sales and ecommerce software solutions in a data driven B2C and B2B SaaS company.
- Experience leading a MarTech technology organization
- Experience integrating multiple technology stacks in a post-M&A organization
- Experience with business intelligence, data science and data products.
- Experience building software products for a SaaS Education Technology company
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $205,000.00 with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.