Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We’re seeking a VP of Engineering to drive the technical vision and strategy for our engineering organization and lead our talented team of software and solutions engineers.
About the Role:
The Engineering team at Code for America uses simple, reliable technology to build better digital public services. Sometimes we build products end-to-end. Sometimes we do custom work, build prototypes, or deploy new infrastructure. Sometimes we provide technical consulting services. Everything we do shows what’s possible when we take a better approach to delivering government services.
We are a remote-first organization with intentional gatherings and a headquarters office located in San Francisco. You will report to the CTO, with the leaders of our Programs and our Product, Design, Data Science, Qualitative Research, and Client Success departments as your peers. Together you will work to build and support high performing cross-functional teams that drive better outcomes in public service delivery, including food assistance, tax credits, criminal record clearance, and more.
In this position you will:
- Partner cross-functionally to deliver outstanding products, services, and client outcomes across our portfolio of work.
- Drive the evolution of our technical vision and strategy.
- Manage and lead a team of 40+ engineers, managers, and directors and grow it with care and intention.
- Foster a dynamic and equity-centered engineering culture, and develop our software and solutions engineering practices and capabilities.
- Contribute to organizational strategy and alignment as a member of our senior leadership team.
- You are an experienced engineering leader who has been responsible for large (40+) teams, including at least 2 years as a Director or VP.
- You care deeply about Code for America’s mission of improving government services with a focus on equity and justice.
- You approach your work with empathy, humility, care, and intention; and you’re excited to grapple with extremely challenging problems.
- You are an experienced and inclusive engineering leader, able to lead through ambiguity, and excited to develop a vision that inspires and motivates your team to action, while collaborating cross-functionally to ensure your team’s impact.
- You have a track record of delivering impactful web products in an agile environment, and leveraging technology creatively to improve the experience for partners and users.
- You have experience managing those who manage others, and setting up systems or operations to support your team, such as career ladders or paths for professional development
- You are skilled at recruiting, networking, and hiring and believe our team needs to be representative of the communities we serve.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the criminal-legal system, social safety net or other mission-relevant government services.
- Leadership experience with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Experience in public sector technology.
- Experience delivering both B2C and B2B software.
What you’ll get:
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from $172,975 – $211,750.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM – 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.