At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app “Providers” to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Now, we’re expanding further into financial services, offering the best banking option for families managing low incomes.
We are evolving our brand to match the scope of this vision, and we are looking for our first full-time Visual Designer to join us in a key moment in that process! In 2021, we renamed “Fresh EBT” to “Providers”, dedicating our company to the people we exist to serve. We have also laid the foundation of our new identity, with a redesigned app. We need a strong visual designer to help us achieve the next level of polish and delight in our product, while bringing our brand to life for the very first time in marketing channels, media platforms, and other touchpoints. Ultimately, you’ll help millions of parents and caregivers see a new financial institution that consistently understands, meets, and advocates for their needs.
You’ll do this work in close collaboration with a mature design team that includes product designers, content designers, UX engineers, and design researchers. Your partners will include everyone from our product managers and product marketers, to HR and Government Affairs. There is significant opportunity for professional growth in this role as we build out our visual design function, and your path will be supported directly by the VP of Design.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact — you’ll take on significant business and client responsibility from day one
- Broad exposure to business skills — you will develop skills in client management, analytics, and operations
- Start-up experience — you will be exposed to a broad set of functions and challenges
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Fort Greene, Brooklyn (plus the opportunity to work remote!)
- Build on our foundational brand strategy and visual identity system with a flexible, channel-agnostic approach.
- Identify and scope opportunities to improve the visual of our core user interface, key onboarding funnels, and special moments of polish and delight.
- Take ideas from concept to build-ready assets, employing sharp typography and graphic design.
- Take ownership of all types of visual collateral both in digital and print, such as featured images, social media content, in-app editorial illustrations, iconography, email campaigns, published research studies, sales decks, and more.
- Build visual systems to help empower other members of the team to work independently to achieve high-quality visual outputs.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams in a highly collaborative environment with diverse perspectives and expertise.
- Strategic problem-solving skills and the capacity to distill complex information into meaningful concepts, ideas, and designs
- Experience building and extending brand identities and systems, with a proven track record of delivering complex projects that meet client goals and are successful in form and function
- Demonstrated experience shipping exceptional visual work, with your role clearly defined on each project in your portfolio
- Experience working on cross-disciplinary teams
- Ability to move quickly to prove out ideas
- Strong understanding of current industry tools with the ability to adapt to new technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills