Quick Take: Axios is a new digital media company that gets you smarter, faster with news that matters. We’re hiring a visual journalist with a focus on data visualization!
Why it Matters: In this role, you will research and analyze data and create data visualizations for Axios’ website and newsletters. This role will focus on medium to long term projects but you will also contribute some quick turnaround charts. You’ll work closely with reporters and editors on a day-to-day basis, and frequently pitch ideas for visual stories.
Go Deeper: For this role, we are interested in speaking with folks who have a background in design, storytelling, and crafting large enterprise-style visual projects from start to finish.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- A knack for storytelling. You should know how to take an idea and a pile of research and distill it into an engaging narrative that people want to read.
- Technical proficiency in working with data. You should have a good lay of the land in regards to what datasets are out in the wild and what they are good for. We don’t really care which program(s) you use as long as you get results.
- You’re an experienced designer. We’re looking for someone with experience using tools like Figma and Adobe Illustrator to design graphics and create full wireframes for interactive visual stories.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.