Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a visual journalist with a focus on data visualization!
Why it Matters: In this role, you will research and analyze data and create data visualizations for Axios’ website and newsletters. You will balance a mix of short- and long-term projects. You’ll work closely with reporters and editors on a day-to-day basis, and frequently pitch ideas for visualizations that lead our reporting.
Go Deeper: For this role, we are very interested in speaking with folks who have a background in statistics or data science and who are interested in applying those skills in a journalistic context. If you don’t have all the skills listed here, but are passionate about creating excellent visual journalism, you should still apply because we definitely want to talk to you!
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced work environment and openness to giving and receiving candid (but kind) feedback.
- Technical proficiency in working with data. You should have a good lay of the land in regards to what datasets are out in the wild and what they are good for. We don’t really care which tools you use as long as you get results.
- A good sense of where/if data fits into news. Ideally, you will be pitching and producing data-driven stories and working with other reporters to help them hone their data skills.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events