Quick Take: Axios is a thriving, fast-growing media organization dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news in an audience-first format. After successfully launching daily newsletters in 24 cities, we are expanding Axios Local to six more cities before year’s end. We are hiring a Visual Journalist to help support the production of these daily newsletters!
Why it Matters: Our coverage is built on the architecture of Smart Brevity and, in our latest venture, we are taking that approach to local markets to provide worthy coverage of the happenings of cities across the US. This illustrator will create a meaningful local presence by creating illustrations for regional readers and getting them smarter, faster on the news that matters in their specific community.
Go Deeper: We are looking for someone who can spearhead the illustrations for this new venture with the following responsibilities:
- Primarily focus on our four daily Axios Local newsletters, creating 2-4 visuals a day
- Work closely with Writers, Editors, and the rest of the Visuals team to produce illustrations and other visuals
- Verify that visuals adhere to Axios Visual style guidelines, while also exploring city-specific visual touches and themes
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Well-versed in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Illustrator; competency in After Effects and animation a great plus
- Strong photo composite skills
- Experience in editorial illustration
- Extremely organized, with a collaborative mindset mindset and strong communication skills
- Comfortable working under tight deadlines with quick turnarounds
- Willingness to work on a Sunday-Thursday schedule in order to produce content for weekday newsletter sends
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Salary Range: Base salary for this role is in the range of $65,000-$90,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.