At Teachable we empower creators to transform their knowledge into income. To accomplish this, our products enable individuals and small businesses to create, host and sell online courses and coaching. Teachable Creators has tens of thousands of active creators who’ve reached more than 45 million students around the world, teaching a diverse array of topics, ranging from crafting to card tricks to coding. Fifty million people worldwide consider themselves to be creators. More than two million people earn enough from their passion projects to consider it their full-time income. The rise of the creator economy means more people than ever want to share what they know and monetize it. Teachable is poised to offer best-in-class solutions to this ever-growing market.
In 2020, Teachable was acquired by Hotmart Company, a global leader in the Creator Economy with a shared mission of empowering creators to live out their passions. With offices in eight countries and more than 35 million users worldwide, Hotmart’s partnership ensures our creators—current and future—have access to best-in-class technology tools, so they can scale their online businesses with ease and truly make an impact on their students’ lives.
Reporting to the General Manager, the VP of Finance will be part of our Senior Leadership Team and be responsible for oversight of all aspects of Teachable’s Finance team, including FP&A, Accounting, and Tax.
You will help establish, direct and execute a financial strategy for Teachable in alignment and accountable to Hotmart’s global finance standards and practices. The candidate must therefore be comfortable building relationships across organizations, ensuring the Teachable finance team has clear requirements from all stakeholders and is accountable for meeting those requirements.
We are looking for an experienced and dedicated VP of Finance who will be responsible for developing and directing the company’s analytical, financial plans and policies. The VP of Finance will also report on metrics to optimize our growth by understanding where efficiencies exist to maximize scalability throughout the year.
This is a full-time, remote-based position with travel required to our NYC office on a quarterly basis as well as occasional travel to Hotmart offices in Brazil.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish a long-term Financial vision and strategy in alignment with the company’s business goals
- Oversee all day-to-day aspects of Teachable Finance, leading the Accounting, Tax, and FP&A teams in month-end close process, reconciliations, forecasts, budgets, tax returns, etc
- Be the strategic financial partner of to the General Manager and other key business leaders
- Build detailed financial models to support resource allocation and decision-making process
- Run and improve the standard company cycles, business reviews and financial dashboards
- Continuously map financial opportunities, understanding relevant trends and leveraging competitive/ internal benchmarking
- Collaborate with the business leaders ,understanding business fundamentals and dynamics, which inform the development of accurate, timely forecasts that support a healthy P&L
- Liaise with business leaders to steer operations in alignment with our target goals and support progress tracking
- Create a reliable cash flow analysis and management to meet operational needs and short and long term growth plans
- Coordinate, in conjunction with Legal, the company’s compliance with local and federal government requirements
- Responsible for establishing team priorities, goal setting, and overall team development
Who You Are:
- You have at least 10 years of relevant work experience in a high-growth tech startup or growth stage tech company, including at least 3 years in senior management
- You have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related field
- You are knowledgeable about multiple aspects of Finance, including Accounting (e.g. revenue recognition principles), Tax (for example, US State Sales Tax and implications of Wayfair), FP&A (budgeting and forecasting, variance reporting, metrics germane to a SaaS business); Compliance (SOX) experience would be an advantage
- You have a proven track record of building Finance teams, including recruiting, managing and developing managers as well as individual contributors
- You have experience leading Finance teams as well as experience with SaaS based revenue models.
- You’re data-driven, with a deep understanding of business metrics and quantitative goal-setting and its impact on prioritization.
- You are a strong written and verbal communicator, and can explain and synthesize complexity with ease
- You’re a problem-solver who can help address roadblocks and take on complex problems as needed.
- You are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to speak Portuguese is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with the Creator economy or providing solutions to solopreneurs/individuals and small businesses is a plus
- Experience working with multi-national/global organizations with multiple stakeholders is a plus.
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we’ve raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,800 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
Teachable is continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won’t hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you’ll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable operates under a hybrid work model, meaning we give our employees the flexibility to work from home or from one of our offices at their leisure (unless otherwise mentioned in a job description).
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
$250 Donation Match Program
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.