RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
RStudio’s Information Operations department (InfoOps) is looking for a Web Technologist to join the Enterprise Information Management (EIM) team. In this role, you will be responsible for the care and keeping of our company websites, including their infrastructure, compliance with web standards, and code deployment per industry and internal best practices. RStudio has websites from many content creators; this role will interface with all of them in pursuit of the best possible user experience in our web ecosystem.
You will partner with content owners across RStudio to keep the sites stable, accessible, and navigable. You will work closely with the InfoOps team and Site Reliability Engineering to standardize and modernize our web footprint and build a long-term strategy for website management at RStudio. As a Web Technologist, you will be a helpful and friendly partner to other RStudio employees, teaching others how to leverage our infrastructure and information standards to achieve their website goals. In short, you will help us manage our websites, ensuring that internal and external site users find and access the information they need.
What you’ll own:
- Website infrastructure across the company
- The code side of website software used to deploy content to the web: static site generators, CMSs, hosting platforms, etc.
- Take a lead role in ensuring the overall health of the websites, guiding company decisions around internet infrastructure.
- Review pull requests related to code additions for any infrastructure deployment issues
- Manage permissions to website software as mentioned above
- Work with SRE, Security, & IT to ensure our web infrastructure meets company standards
- Enterprise web element integration & maintenance
- EIM website standards implementation, including accessibility, semantic HTML, and core web vital measurements
- Google Analytics
- Navigation/Information architecture standards
- Use qualitative and quantitative metrics to determine areas of prioritization around enterprise web infrastructure development
- Privacy & tracking software integration
- Develop process and standards for site maintenance tasks.
- Create and maintain documentation surrounding company standards and best practices for web development.
- Share progress on tasks and projects through team project management software.
- Create a framework for tracking website metrics and measures of success.
What you’ll assist with:
- Hosting platform management, in conjunction with IT & SRE, escalating issues you notice
- Under the guidance and in collaboration with the EIM Manager, identify infrastructure risks and recommend clean-up or standardization projects across websites.
- Design a system for regular evaluation and maintenance of company websites
- Support content creators with code-related development or infrastructure needs.
- Write and maintain documentation that covers all role activities and support team documentation requirements.
- Identify areas where EIM can partner with content owners on information delivered via websites.
- Work with EIM and content owners as part of content lifecycle management efforts
- Work closely with other teams to understand their needs and where you can offer support
- Work closely with stakeholders to gather requirements and to implement and maintain enterprise web elements.
What you’ll teach:
- Two years of relevant web development experience
- Relevant work experience using website development tools to meet time-sensitive needs of content owners
- Close attention to detail
- Knowledge of content management systems, static site generators, and typical front-end development tools used in corporate organizations, and best practices for implementing them
- Good written and oral communication skills within the context of providing individual and group user support, documentation, demonstrations, troubleshooting, and requirements gathering.
- Positive attitude toward challenges and growth.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and acquire new skills as business needs require
- Experience with diverse website management platforms
- Helpful: Knowledge of data science, both corporate and open-source perspectives
What you’ll learn:
- Web standards around accessibility, mobile-first design, and SEO
- Metadata affecting search and Algolia, our search provider
- UX principles
- Details surrounding our particular tech stack
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Review the existing website ecosystem and current 3rd party applications, integrations & vendors
- Training around our tech stack – Pantheon, WordPress, Algolia, Google metrics, static site generators currently in use
- Meet everyone on the InfoOps team
- Introduction/familiarize with content, company, products, customers, users
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Migrate company website hosting to the same hosting platform
- Create & document website deployment processes and procedures
- Develop a plan for upgrading all sites to GA4
- Transition web infrastructure management duties from content owners (ongoing)
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Migrate all sites to GA4
- Develop a requirements list to improve Core Web Vitals on all websites
- Work with InfoOps stakeholders to implement a CCPA banner on company sites
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Any additional training – Algolia, GTM, accessibility
- Identify missing enterprise web elements & develop a remediation plan
- Optimize Algolia utilization by completing metrics integration on subdomains for Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and Google Tag Manager
- Review Docs site metadata/version issues and develop a remediation plan
- Create & implement enterprise elements, such as a standard 404 page or header/footer that meet internal branding standards
- Work with EIM Manager to create a professional development plan for future growth within the role & at RStudio
- Deploy sitewide search to subdomains
- Other projects might include
- AMP web component framework
- Standardize canonical URLs & robots.txt file usage
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.