Position: Writer (Personal Finance)
Location: Norwich, UK or Remote (Based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a website and mobile app delivering industry-leading financial guidance, tools and independent reviews, is expanding into the UK. Founded in 2009, NerdWallet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and has a UK office in Norwich. There’s a team of more than 600 Nerds (including 30+ in the UK) who are on a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
We have over 160 million visitors come to us every year as a trusted and objective source for information. We provide consumers with expert and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics.
NerdWallet is looking for a writer in the UK to cover the personal finance choices that millions of people in the UK grapple with every day. Successful candidates must be able to translate complex topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves. We have full-time writer openings covering banking, business, credit cards, insurance, loans, mortgages, motoring and money management.
Writing compelling and significant stories would be only part of your job. Ultimately, you would own a corner of the NerdWallet UK website, and learn and use the best practices for search optimisation to ensure that those who needed help can easily find it. You would find ways to measure the success of your content and build on it — all with the goal of creating the internet’s best answers for the topics you cover.
Please include links to four examples of your work in your application.
Where you can make an impact:
- Write high-quality stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
- Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet’s social, syndication and media strategies.
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet’s readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimisations.
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet’s approach to product ratings, reviews, and comparisons.
- Help shape NerdWallet’s consumer experiences, including tools.
- Collaborate well with editors and other writers, and occasionally edit colleagues’ work or pitch in on a presentation for the content team.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We’re flexible. We’re highly collaborative.
You are someone who is:
- A strong communicator who can empathise with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Excellent at prioritisation and handling multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change.
- Able to provide examples of how you’ve taken initiative and driven projects throughout your career.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive criticism.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Previous experience writing about personal finance for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- Generous Pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.