About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization working to elect Democrats up and down the ballot. We make it possible for anyone to make a big impact on the elections that determine the balance of power in our country, by volunteering and donating in key races. Since launching in 2017, Swing Left volunteers have raised more than $40 million for more than 300 candidates and civic organizations and made more than 40 million combined phone calls, door knocks, and letters sent to voters via its affiliate Vote Forward and their partners.
Youth Organizing Board (YOB) members are stipended volunteers who support the work of youth & college student volunteers in a certain region of the country with Swing Left, the premier nationwide grassroots organizing group able to coordinate directly with Democratic campaigns and ensure that volunteers are successfully integrated in the lead up to the 2022 elections.
YOB members build strong relationships with youth and college volunteers and teams in their assigned regions to provide coaching, support, and connection to Swing Left priorities and resources. They also help identify and recruit prospective Swing Left group leaders and existing progressive groups with similar goals who would benefit from Swing Left support and resources. YOB members work closely with the Swing Left Grassroots Community Organizing Team.
At this time we have open positions in two regions: Northwest (WA, OR, ID, WY, MT, HI, AK, KS, NE, SD, ND) and Southwest (NM, AZ, CO, TX, OK, UT, NV)
Important information for prospective applicants:
- The deadline to submit an application for this position is January 9, 2022
- The expected start date for this position is February 1, 2022. Interviews will begin the first week of January and all applicants should hear from our team by January 21
- Qualified candidates for the Youth Organizing Board:
- Live within and/or have demonstrated knowledge of and connection to the region that they are applying to
- Have recent (i.e. current or within one election cycle) experience around organizing college students
Scope of work
Build and maintain strong relationships with volunteers and teams in assigned region to support Swing Left’s grassroots organizing work.
- Provide coaching, support, and connection to the organization’s priorities and resources to ensure existing groups in assigned turf achieve and maintain top levels of grassroots strength and alignment to Swing Left priorities
- Support groups’ regular execution of hosted voter contact events
- Provide and communicate volunteering opportunities to help build group capacity and get out the vote in target races
- Conduct regular (i.e. quarterly) one on one conversations with each volunteer leader in assigned region to identify their needs and capacities
- Execute ongoing virtual trainings (one to one or one to many) to teach volunteer leaders how to effectively deploy Swing Left’s organizing toolkit, strengthen their work, and address needs identified via one on one conversations
- Provide a consistent point of contact for volunteers to Swing Left from now through Nov 25, 2022 (with the possibility to extend)
- Consistently respond to volunteer messages within a reasonable timeframe (i.e. within about 72 hours of message receipt)
- Submit weekly debriefs and maintain regular communication via email and Slack with the Grassroots Community Organizing Team to provide updates on current work, accurately track regional volunteer capacity, and provide insights for organizing staff
- Regularly attend scheduled bi-weekly meetings with the Youth Outreach Program Manager, monthly YOB cohort meetings, and monthly YOB + ROC (Regional Organizing Coordinator) cohort meetings
- Maintain accurate data and tracking systems
- Consult with Swing Left staff on program content, messaging, and resources that effectively engage the audience that the Youth Organizing Board works to support
Support the creation of new Swing Left groups; identify and recruit prospective group leaders and existing progressive groups with similar goals who would benefit from Swing Left support and resources.
- Recruit a minimum of six new or newly aligned local grassroots groups in assigned turf
- Represent Swing Left to the press and help recruit other press volunteers
Successful Youth Organizing Board candidates will have:
- A passion for Swing Left’s mission and strategy and for engaging young people around supporting Democrats in the elections that determine the balance of power in our country
- Demonstrated knowledge of and connection to the region that they are applying to, via living in and/or attending school in this region currently or in the recent past
- Recent (i.e. current or within one election cycle) experience around organizing college students
- Ability to spend 10 hours per week on work for this role
- Ability to maintain regular communication with Swing Left staff and volunteer groups through the duration of the program
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain volunteer structures, either in a campaign or a grassroots organizing capacity.
- Aptitude for connecting with people, forming and maintaining new relationships, and asking folks to step up.
- Comfort in a rapidly changing campaign environment.
- High level of comfort with using technology to support organizing (Zoom, Slack, email platforms, social media platforms, etc). Experience with digital organizing is not required but is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and consistent reporting habits.
This role includes an expected commitment of 10 hours per week through Nov 25, 2022 with the possibility to extend. There is a stipend to defray costs associated with this volunteer role. Swing Left will provide a payment of $300 a month, reimburse approved expenses, and offer comprehensive training and tools.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ people. As we seek to build both a political system and organization that represents and uplifts these voices, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities and members of other marginalized communities.