At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
The Student Engagement Specialist (SES), is focused on preparing students for success in their respective programs, by utilizing prescribed resources available throughout the pre-start process. The SES works with enrolled students prior to class starting who have been identified as at-risk students. Success is measured by student start rates, which result in greater revenue retention as the start rates improve over time. The SES reports directly to the Manager of Student Engagement Specialists and collaborates with local and regional counterparts, including Student Success Managers, and members of the Field Operations Team.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Student Retention
- Works with a population of pre-start students who are identified as higher risk students based on a number of at-risk factors.
- Consistently engages students with available resources throughout the pre-start process.
- Provides one on one coaching sessions in preparation for prescribed resources, such as weekly tutoring, computer literacy, motivation, study skills, and/or financial literacy.
- Works collaboratively with the Workshop Leader and Pre-start tutoring team to ensure the prescribed resources provided to our students are effective in delivery and content.
- Directly contributes to driving revenue and student retention with respect to start rate and drop rate management.
- Student Outcomes
- Adept in coaching and mentoring students, in preparation for the launch of their programs.
- Identifying risks to student retention and subsequently implementing mitigation plans to promote students’ success in the program
- Maintaining accountability for student outcomes, including student engagement and organic start as deemed appropriate by the organization.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree or 1-3 years directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Previous experience in Higher Education industry strongly preferred
- Prior coaching or advising background strongly preferred
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience in achieving defined results, and exceeding goals and objectives
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and excellent follow through
- Ability to think critically and identify potential issues before they arise
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills required
- Demonstrated ability to receive direct and constructive feedback, and respond with an attitude of a lifelong learner, always looking to exceed expectations and growth
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Familiarity with using technology in an educational setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, personal, tactful, and concise manner
- Strong student-centered, customer service focus; commitment to student satisfaction and success
- Ideal candidate has a passion for building and maintaining relationships with their team and the students
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary for this role is ($45,000), with potential bonus eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: email@example.com.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we’re not stopping there — we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.